Twenty-four: Where Danger Lurks

"William, I would like all my sons to escort me in the same carriage."

Good grief, woman!

William rolled his eyes as as he stood in front of the manor, back to his mother, waiting on Mia to descend. He eventually turned to confront the dowager. "You know as well as I, that this first coming out ball is demanding and a lot is at stake. It is imperative I escort my wife." His voice was cool and steady. "Of all people, you should be aware of the social implications, it is your most prized status, is it not?"

She frowned, displeasure rippling across her tight face. "A mother can sacrifice so much for her children. Mayhap even her life to birth them. Is it incomprehensible then, to expect so little in return?" She tried to assert her status over his wife. Unfortunately for her, William was no longer the soft rounded, easily manipulated boy he once was. He would not feel guilt where there was no cause for it. He was long done defending the evil that lurked within those of his own flesh. "I refuse to believe you would discard your own kind, your own blood for that." Her brows rose as Mia appeared behind him.

He turned on his heel to be greeted by the vision that was his wife. His mother's words fading from his mind instantly. "I know, isn't she beautiful?" He was awed and it showed in his voice, half speaking to himself. 

Dressed in burgundy silk and chiffon, layers of opulent fabric and gold thread embroidery that laced across her bodice and clung to her figure. The corset accentuating her silhouette with its hourglass whalebone set, and the skirt trailing in her wake, ruby liquid in the shadow of her steps worshipped each delicate tread.

"Wow."

"Careful, brother, you'll start catching flies." George snickered, appearing suddenly. He darted down quick as a fox to tap William's slack jaw in jest. The latter clamped it shut, eyes still fixed on her.

Bethany poked her head out from her carriage and bit out, "Tonight would be nice."

"Right." William gave Charles a look, silently communicating, and hoping Mia had heard nothing of his exchange with his mother.

Charles's shoulders heaved as he rolled his eyes before dragging his feet to his mother. He had heard alright, and was in awe as to how this cruel side to his mother had not been apparent before.

"Mother. Let the man escort his bride, and you can have him to yourself on the way back, Alright?" He stated diplomatically. "We shall be terribly late if we do not get moving now!" Before ushering the dowager into the carriage without another protest.

William held out his arm and Mia rested her hand in the crook of his elbow, a glimmer of warmth blossoming in her tummy from the way he was looking at her. As if she was the only thing in the world. In that moment, amongst many others, she was.

"Hello." She said timidly, a nervous smile on her lips.

"H-Hello." William stuttered, as he fell into step with her. He had to blink hard, as if not believing she was all his and all real. He looked at her like he was seeing her for the first time. "Beautiful." He uttered, as if broken by her beauty and held together by the very same thing.

She looked panicked by the compliment for a second, as if self-conscious. "It was all Nance and Madame, those women are amazingly gifted!" She gushed.

He heard not a word, his eyes only following the movement of her plush lips as he opened the carriage door, helped her in, then followed. His mother's indignant voice cracked like a whip through his haze and he was thrown back to reality. "Will you mind if I ride with my mother on the way back? She can be just so..." he sighed exasperatedly as he pulled the door shut behind him.