Thirty: George Needs Earplugs

*

Mia sat restless on the swing, eventually closing the dogeared leather volume she had been reading. There wasn't a breeze stirring except the turmoil within. 'Idle hands make for devils work, my girl.' She mumbled to herself.

Her gratitude in circumstance was dampened by the fact that she had nought to do. Yes, as lady of the household, there were a certain set of tasks and chores that needed to be done. An estate this large didn't run itself! But Gerty had been managing this long before her, and she wasn't one to encroach on the woman's territory.

Boredom was settling in. A rare luxury of the affluent, she thought. Back on their humble farm, she and Zebediah never had a moments rest, let alone the luxury of boredom.

As her mind wondered back to her childhood, she abruptly sat up.

'There it is, that rare ailment of a thinking woman. She's had an idea, folks!' George appeared from behind the tree, grinning the infernal teasing smile of his.

Mia started with a fright before letting out a small laugh. 'Shut it, you brute.'

'What's the idea then?' He poked her forehead, before settling in to lean against the tree.

'Not idea, more of a desire. To see my home. When I left to come here, your father took it into his hands to secure the land under my name for me, when I choose to claim it. For now, it's being worked on by his people, still profiting and providing back into the Bischester estate. As humble and small as we are.' She blushed.

George's brow rose. 'I completely forgot about your land, farmer's daughter. I must admit, it's a pleasant thought that you should have something completely of your own. Independence, my good woman!'

'Hear, hear.'

He gestured down at the old book in her hand. 'What is that artefact you carry about? I must have seen you reread that a hundred times over.' He went to grab it and she dipped it from his reach. 'Looks to be practically disintegrating as you turn the page.'

'Na, ah, Georgie. This is not for young boys.' She waggled a finger patronisingly at him. 'Look but do not touch.'

'Oh. One of those more lucrative reads, for a lonely young man and his good hand then?' He wiggled a brow suggestively.

She grimaced. 'Don't be disgusting!'

He grinned rakishly at that. 'One can only assume when a lady is a keeper of secrets.'

'Mayhap one day I shall let you borrow this, and your little mind will be enlightened to a rather remarkable adventure.'

'Fictitious or non?'

'Gospel truth, my boy.' She nodded her head solemnly.

He placed a hand over his heart. 'And you entrust me with your holy word? You must love me.'

She gave him a raised brow and a curious smile. 'You dramatic fool. What's gotten into you?'

George gave her a sidelong look. 'Oh, nothing.'

'Ah.' Mia ran her palms over her dress, smoothing the fabric and hummed to herself contentedly. She glanced at her fingernails before absently fiddling with a stray lock of her hair. She knew George by now enough that if she acted disinterested, he'd-