Twenty-Three: First Encounters

Instagram@ distressed_brownie

So I've begun exploring hand-lettering and my old fond art hobby. Check out my page if you have a moment and lemme know what you think? I'd love some support ^_^ xx

~*~

"Are you aware it took a month before the news reached me, that my darling dearest is now deceased?" The hint of irony in her voice was not missed.

The older woman sat languidly at the other head of the table, opposite her eldest son. She sipped a crystal tumbler filled with whiskey, whilst stretched back against the winged chair. She exuded the artless confidence of a smug, Persian cat, reclining languidly amongst elegance. Seated on her throne.

"With only three weeks to get my affairs in order, book my passage onto the next available ship, and ensure my assets are secure whilst I am away. Three weeks!" She exclaimed, as if it was preposterous.

"Please, you shouldn't have." George hissed under his breath, to which the dowager only gave him a silent flick of her eyes, pinpoint daggers of silent judgement and disapproval that stung the very air.

"A little over a month to sail back here, the ship's captain was a tremendous bore, sailing at no faster than three to four knots." She sighed, as if it had been exhausting to relax on a luxurious cruiser, being attended to hand and foot by servants.

A muscle in William's jaw jumped. The letter he had sent his mother had clearly done the opposite of what he had intended. Rather than informing her and leaving it at that, the woman had taken it as a summons. Intruding upon their lives once again.

Charles sat uncomfortably. Even more so than George. Half of him was torn in excitement and genuine relief at seeing their mother looking so well and...happy. This was probably what her idea of happiness amounted to: uncomfortable and tense atmospheres created upon her entrance into any given room. She had a flair for theatrics and loved to make an impression, without paying regards as to what kind of impression that was. Yes, this was her happy.

His eyes travelled to his blonde haired brother that sat uncharacteristically somber. Where had the cocky joker disappeared to? It was unsettling at the very least.

"Well, I believe there are certain matters to attend to. If the letter was any implication, I expect to see my newest daughter-in-law at once." She called for her butler, and the man stepped up obediently. A few hushed whispers were exchanged before the butler bowed and skirted around the table towards George.

Here it comes. He sighed internally, ignoring the worried glance the youngest sent him. The butler leaned in uncomfortably close to his ear and said, "her ladyship would kindly request an audience with her kin. It would well advised for sir to retire."

George acknowledged the message but remained stoic. With a tense smile in William's direction, he pushed back the chair and quickly left the room.