🍃Chapter Twenty-Seven🍃OVA 2: Beach Trip🍃

Sunlight sparkled on the cool, aqua ocean, as a slight breeze danced around the palm trees. Gulls flapped around, calling out to each other, and swooping overhead. The sand was soft and golden. The warmth of the sun was soothing, not too hot, not too cold. Perfect conditions. Even the noise level wasn't too high. Pity that was about to change.

"ALRIGHT! THE BEACH!" Mikami screeched, charging onto the previously peaceful beach, brandishing a beach ball.

"Well... It was quiet..." Kasai sighed in amusement, echoing my own thoughts.

"WHO'S UP FOR SOME BEACH VOLLEYBALL?!" Mikami yelled.

"How is she so hyper?" Aren murmured as Gryfin, Owan and Kasai ran out to join in with some Beach Volleyball. I shrugged, then dragged Aren and Cindy over to the game, too.

As it turns out, I absolutely suck at Beach Volleyball. I face-planted the sand so many times, I'll probably bring half the beach back to the guild hall IN MY HAIR.

Cindy and Mikami were getting WAY too into the game, and it was almost like Kasai and Gryfin immediately jumped into a war against each other. Owan and Aren were both pretty good, but they seemed to be the only ones playing properly, only stuffing up when I rolled past them, tripping the two over. The rest of us were just goofing off.

At one point, Mikami ran off under the excuse of getting a drink, so none of us bothered to give it much thought. As a result, the Doll Control mage successfully blasted us all with an ice-cold spurt of water from the large water gun she had insisted on bringing along.

"C-C-COLD!" I shrieked, jumping about like a deranged kangaroo.

"HAHA! GOT YOU ALL!" Mikami laughed hysterically.

"GET HER!" Cindy yelled, charging at Mikami, who turned heel and fled towards the ocean. The rest of the guild bumbled after her. We all splashed into the shallows, and froze, taking a moment to accommodate the temperature of the water.

"You guys are all idiots," Aren deadpanned, strolling over to the shoreline, carrying the battered volleyball under one arm as Cindy started splashing water everywhere she could.

"Offence taken!" Kasai snapped, then coughed as he got a mouthful of seawater.

"HIYAHHH!"

I whirled around. Mikami had squirted another jet of freezing cold water at me. I jumped, and ended up sitting in the air to avoid the sneak attack. However, my dodging the water resulted in Aren getting a face full of the stuff. There was a deathly silence. Aren sighed, then charged into the water, splashing Mikami with a wave of sea water.

My guild mates broke into an even bigger war. I sat in the air above them, a little smile on my face. That was until Cindy decided to steal Mikami's water gun and attack me with the freezing cold liquid.

(Later -> that night)

"It's cold!" Mikami complained. Kasai threw a jumper at her. Gentle waves lapped at our feet as the tide slowly came in.

"Why are we still waiting out here?" Owan asked curiously, leaning back to lie on the cooling sand.

"It'll start any minute... And it will be worth the wait. I promise!" I murmured, staring at the twinkling stars above. The velvety night sky stretched as far as the eye could see.

"What will start any minute?" Cindy yawned, almost impatiently.

"You'll see," I smiled. Aren dragged a box across the sand, opened it, then offered it around to us all.

"Chocolate-chip biscuit, any one?"

I waited until the rest of my guild mates had accepted a cookie, then took the last one. I flopped back onto the sand and munched happily at the deliciousness known as a fresh chocolate-chip cookie.

"How much longer until whatever the heck we're waiting for?" Mikami whined, leaning her head on Aren's shoulder.

"Any second now..." I murmured, and the same time Aren grumbled; "What are you doing."

We stared up at the sky. Time seemed to be going in slow motion. Then, colours exploded into life above.

"Holy cow..." Gryfin breathed, eyes going wide.

The fireworks kept on coming. Blue, green, red... Other colours one could only imagine.

"Didn't I tell you it would be worth it?" I smiled.

"It totally is worth it..." Mumbled Cindy, devouring the last crumbs of her cookies.