🍃Chapter Twenty-Eight🍃OVA 3: Kasai's Birthday🍃

"I'm going to take on a solo job. Shouldn't be too hard, and it's not too far away."

"Mmhmm. Good luck."

Kasai folded up the job request and stuffed in his pocket as he walked away. I eyed him as he reached the guild hall door, then returned to my own paper as he disappeared from view through the door. I waited a couple minutes, then stretched.

"Hey, Owan?" I asked. The Requip mage looked up from his lunch.

"Yeah?"

"Is Kasai gone?"

Owan frowned curiously and hurried over to the door. He peered out.

"Yep."

I smiled, "Good. ALRIGHT! GUILD ANNOUNCEMENT!"

Owan returned to his table to continue eating his fried rice while he listened, Cindy slid into the seat next to him and tried to steal his bacon. Gryfin and Mikami wandered over from the bean-bag circle (where they had undoubtedly been in the middle of planning some sort of prank). Aren straightened up and leaned on the bar table, waiting for the announcement. I stood up on a chair.

"You all know what day it is!" I began. Everyone but Gryfin nodded. Gryfin leant over to Mikami.

"What day is it?"

She playfully rolled her eyes at him, then whispered back, "Kasai's birthday!"

His mouth shaped an 'O', and he fell silent.

"And I think we should have some sort of celebration!" I grinned, "So... While we wait for Kasai to get back from his job, we should get the guild set up for a surprise party!"

"Sweet!" Cindy cheered.

"We have some decorations in the old store room up the stairs on the right. We could use those for party decor?" Owan suggested.

"Yes, definitely!" I agreed.

"What about a birthday present?" Mikami asked, furrowing her brow. I hesitated.

"Cindy and I will go out to find an appropriate birthday present," I decided, "Owan, Gryfin, you two are in charge of all decorating. Use those spare decorations Owan mentioned. And, um, Mikami and Aren? You two are in charge of food. Mikami, you're the best cook I know. Whip up some cookies and cupcakes and anything you feel would be appropriate. Let's do this!"

Owan nodded at Gryfin, and the two boys hurried up the stairs. There was a slight creak as the they shoved the store cupboard open, then an appreciative exclamation from Gryfin.

"Come on, let's get started!" Mikami said excitedly to Aren. She whisked around to join him behind the bar, as the two began pulling out baking utensils and ingredients.

"I'll give you ten jewels if you manage to get Aren in a girly apron..!" I whispered to Mikami, "As a side quest, of course!"

She laughed, and turned back to mixing ingredients.

"Cindy, let's head out!" I ordered. Cindy bounced over as I pushed the doors apart. Bright sunlight spilled into the hall for a moment, then was cut off as we let the doors swing shut once more. Cindy and I strode into the nearby town, chatting and laughing.

Once in the town, we wandered slowly down the cobblestone Main Street. Stall upon stall upon stall lined the road. Fruits, pastries, clothes, other items...

"What do you reckon he would like?" I mused, studying a stall of elegantly designed wooden boxes.

"No idea," Cindy replied. We both lapsed into silence for a while as we meandered around, inspecting the many different stalls. I was just walking past a bench covered in colourful fruits, when a light bulb flickered to life in my brain. I spun on my heel, trying to locate Cindy in the crowd. Eventually, I saw her studying a book stand in interest.

"Cindy! Hey, Cindy! I got an idea!" I called. She looked up, dark eyes alert with glee. I jogged over to her.

"A new muffler!"

She looked confused, "A muffler? That's it?"

"Yeah!" I said eagerly, "His old one got ruined in the Crocus battle, and he hasn't had one since!"

"That might work..." Cindy nodded slowly. I headed over towards a clothes stall.

"Good morning! How may I help you?" The elderly woman behind the bench beamed.

"Hi!" I greeted, "Do you sell scarves or mufflers?"

"Certainly, my dear! Here they are!" The shopkeeper smiled kindly, indicating a stack of colourful fabrics. I nodded my thanks and began to peruse the scarves. Cindy hovered behind me, not sure what to do.

"How 'bout this?" I asked Cindy, holding up a muffler. It was a dark, midnight-blue colour, soft as angel feathers, and had small tassels on each end. Cindy took it.

"This looks great!" She smiled in approval, handing the muffler back to me. I turned back to lady.

"How much for this muffler?"

"We're back!"

Cindy and I hurried back into the guild hall.

"Wow..."

Streamers, balloons and confetti were draped everywhere. Owan and Gryfin had done an outstanding job.

"Awesome, you guys!" I breathed in awe. Additionally, the smell of freshly baked cookies wafted from the bar. I hurried over. Mikami and Aren, both looking very proud of themselves, were arranging several plates, full of cookies and cupcakes.

"You lot... You've done an amazing job!" I said happily. Owan hurried towards me and thrust a colourful bag into my hands.

"Put the..." He glanced down at the scarf, "...scarf in here."

"It's a muffler."

"He's coming!" Gryfin called from the window. I stuffed the scarf into the bag.

"Positions!" Aren instructed.

We all positioned ourselves under the tables and bean-bags nearest to the door, which creaked open barely a second after I pulled the last beanbag over my head. Kasai entered, looking slightly tired, but happy to be back. He stared around in confusion.

"What-?"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" We all screamed, erupting from underneath the tables and beanbags. Kasai jumped, face breaking into a huge grin.

"And I thought you lot had forgotten!"

"Like hell we'd forget your birthday!" I grinned, handing the lightning mage the bagged muffler.

"NOW, CONFETTI!" Gryfin and Mikami both screeched, hurling handfuls of confetti everywhere.