Chapter 3 - The Angel mark

Chase's POV

I pushed everything off the vanity table, making it shattered across the floor.

I hated myself.

The look she gave me when she left wasn't leaving my head. It was full of disappointment.

The man who I loved. That phrase was still running in my mind.

She loved me.

I clenched my fist and punched the wall. My hand hurt, but I didn't care.

I went to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and closed my eyes under the warm water. It was like I wanted the water to erase everything I felt.

I didn't love her, did I? No. Then why do I feel like this?

Last night was the best night of my life, beyond my dreams. But it was a mistake. I should stay away from her. I won't hurt her anymore if I do. I'm not ready to admit what I feel for her.

After my shower, I wrapped a towel around my waist. I went back to the bedroom. I put on my clothes.

When I looked at the bed, something was shining between the pillows. I walked closer to the bed. When I lifted the pillow, I saw Aria's necklace.

I grabbed the necklace. It was an angel wing necklace. I gave it to her on her last birthday. She always wore it. I would get happy every time I saw it on her. It pleased me that she never took it off. I felt like the necklace was my signature like the necklace told everyone she was mine. I squeezed it tightly. I needed to drink something.

I went to the living room and poured a glass of brandy for myself.

Aria's POV

I finally calmed down a little. I got up and went to the bathroom.

After I took a shower, I put on my clothes and went to bed. I just wanted to sleep, but my phone rang. It was Chloe. I couldn't talk to anyone right now. I put the phone on silent and closed my eyes.

Chase's POV

I woke up in my bed. I don't remember how I came here. I drank too much last night. My head was pounding.

When I looked at my phone, there were a lot of missed calls as well as messages from my mother, my father, Chloe and my friend, Jace

When I looked at my phone, there were a lot of missed calls as well as messages from my mother, my father, Chloe and my friend, Jace. I ignored them and went to the bathroom.

After my shower, I called my mother. She said they were worried about me. I told her I wanted to be alone. After I talked with my mother, I went to the kitchen and made myself a cup of coffee. I also took a painkiller. I had a pounding headache.

Aria's POV

I got up and changed my clothes. I went downstairs. My parents were having breakfast. I didn't want to eat anything. I just stared at my food instead of eating.

"What happened, sweetie?" my mother asked worriedly. "You've been acting strange since last night."

My father was looking at me, too. "I'm fine. I'm just tired of the party. That's all."

After breakfast, Chloe called me. I hadn't looked at my phone since yesterday. As soon as I picked up, Chloe started talking.

"Aria, where have you been? I was worried. I've been calling you since yesterday. Why didn't you pick up? When I called your house, Aunt Ella said that you were sleeping. What is going on with you?"

"I was just tired. Sorry."

"What happened between you and my brother? I haven't heard from either of you since your birthday. Yesterday we called my brother, but he didn't pick up. We were worried. Finally, he bothered to call us this morning."

When she started talking about Chase, I got sad again.

"I have to go, Chloe. My mother is calling," I said and hung up.

Chase's POV

There was a knock on the door. More precisely, it was like somebody wanted to break the door down. I knew who it was by the knocking. I opened the door.

"Chloe, once knock this door as a normal person."

I went to the living room. I sat down on the couch. My headache had passed a little. Chloe came to the living room and stood up in front of me. She put her hands on her hips.

"Why didn't you pick up your phone yesterday?" she asked.

"I told mom I wanted to be alone."

"By drinking?" she asked, looking at the empty bottles of alcohol.

"Chloe, enough! What do you want? Why are you here?"

"What happened between you and Aria? What did you tell her? She didn't pick up her phone yesterday. Just like you. When I talked to her today, her voice was sad. She hung up without talking much."

I thought about her. I hated myself.

"...Nothing. I dropped her off. Don't make plans like that again. Give up trying to get us together. Just leave us alone."

Chloe sat down beside me on the couch.

"Why, Chase? She loves you. You feel something, too. I feel it. I know how you look at her. Why are you so stubborn?"

"Chloe, nothing will happen between us anymore. That's it."

I got up. I ran my hand through my hair.

"But why?" she asked again.

"Because I am a prick who doesn't want a serious relationship and spends his nights with different girls. Do you understand now?" I screamed.

I couldn't hold myself anymore and shouted at her. I closed my eyes. I tried to calm down.

"I'm sorry, Chloe. I need to be alone, please."

After Chloe left, I sat down on the couch. I pushed everything off the center table. The glass crashed on the wooden floor. The tinkle of broken glass echoed in my ears.