Chapter 17 - The threat

Aria's POV

Chloe entered the room and asked, "My dear, how are you?" She held my hand.

"I'm fine. How is Chase? Any new news?" I asked.

"No," she said.

"I'm going to his room." I got up. My mother and Chloe held my arms.

"Aria, you are not fine. You need to rest. We'll go later," Chloe said.

"No, I'm going now."

"Aria," my mother warned me. I ignored her warning and went to his room.

I entered Chase's hospital room and sat on a chair near his bed. I noticed that Chase hadn't opened his eyes yet. There were cuts and bruises all over his body. I sat next to him and stroked his cheek. I then placed a kiss on his forehead.

"Darling, I'm here," I said with tears in my eyes. I couldn't hold my tears. I held his hand while my other stroked his hair. I stopped stroking his hair and placed it on my stomach. "I need you; our baby needs you. Please, open your eyes."

The nurse came and said, "Sorry, you can't stay here anymore."

"Ok." I kissed his forehead one more time and went out.

Everyone was outside. Chloe walked towards me and hugged me.

A few seconds later, a police officer came. He asked us a few questions. "Someone broke the cable of the brake of his car."

"What? Someone tried to kill my son?" Uncle Xander asked the police. I was in shock. Who would want to kill Chase?

"It seems so. We are looking at the security cameras of the holding," the police officer said and left. I felt dizzy with the news.

"Aria!" Chloe said worriedly. "Sit down, Aria." Chloe helped me sit. Who wanted to kill Chase?

Aunt Sophia handed me a glass of water. "Drink it, dear." I took the glass.

My mother was rubbing my back while Chloe held my hand. My father and Uncle Xander stopped their conversation when they saw me. Everyone was beside me. My hands were trembling. I tried to drink some water.

"I'm calling the doctor," Aunt Sophia said.

"No, I'm better now," I murmured.

Uncle Xander and my father went to the cafeteria to bring us something to eat.

We arranged for a room for the night. My mother and Chloe slept. Aunt Sophia and I stayed awake.

Aunt Sophia hugged me and said, "My son will be alright. He is a strong man, and he will never leave the ones he loves."

Aunt Sophia acted like she understood what was going on between Chase and I. But at the moment, I was thinking of Chase and nothing else.

The sun rose. Chase hadn't opened his eyes yet. My dad brought us breakfast, but I didn't want to eat anything. My mother insisted that I needed to eat for the baby. I ate a little.

A few hours later, Uncle Xander and Aunt Sophia insisted that my parents go home and rest. They told me to do so as well, but I didn't accept.

My parents told me that they would go home and change their clothes. Then, they would come back.

We waited outside of Chase's room for news. The doctor was inside. A few minutes later, the doctor walked out. He told us that Chase had opened his eyes. We hugged each other.

Uncle Xander and Aunt Sophia went inside. Chloe let me go in before her.

"Chase, darling." I walked closer and hugged him.

"Beautiful."

I kissed his lips. "I was scared to death."

"Don't worry; I'm fine," he said, but I was still worried. "You can't get rid of me that easily," he murmured playfully.

"Who said I wanted to get rid of you?" I held his hand.

"You look very tired," he said, caressing my hand with his thumb.

"It's not important. You're fine; that's important." I went out of the room to let Chloe see him.

My parents had arrived by the time I came out of Chase's room.

Chloe approached me. "I'm taking you home," she said softly.

"I don't want to," I said.

"Chase wants me to take you home too. He wants you to rest."

"I'm staying here."

"Chase told me not to listen to you."

"Fine." She took me home.

After dropping me off, Chloe left. She said she was going home to rest for a while.

Three days later

Chase was much better. The doctor let Chase leave the hospital two days ago. He said that nothing was wrong with Chase and that he was perfectly healthy. Chase went back to work.

The police are still looking for the person responsible for his accident. They hadn't found anything. It made us all worried.

I had waited for Chase to get better. I'm going to tell him about our baby today.

Chase's POV

I was feeling much better. I went to the company.

The police had looked at the security cameras, but they didn't find anything. My father increased the security of our family. My parents and I had two more bodyguards on our parol.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in."

My secretary Valeria came in and said, "Mr. Knight, an envelope arrived for you. There is no address on it though."

"Ok, put it on the desk." She put the envelope on the desk and left.

My name was the only thing written on it. I opened the envelope and checked what was inside. There were photos of Aria and me. Someone was spying on us for a while now. There was a note inside the envelope too. You will pay for everything, Chase.