-Prologue-

He was absent for five minutes. Only, five minutes. But those minutes were more than enough, to find his young master dead. 

The demon was socked. He had sensed that Ciel was acting weird the past few days, but he wasn't expecting him to kill himself. With that, Sebastian wasn't even able to eat his soul. It was gone now, and he couldn't do anything. But most of all...

Ciel Phantomhive was dead.  He was lying on the floor in his room, with his wrists cutted deep and the blood was all over him. Except for the cuts on his hands, he was also stabbed right in the heart. Actually, the boy's hands were still in the knife and the servants's scream of horror and sorrow, made everything even worse. The sight itself made Sebastian shiver. He was wondering: 

Why would he do that? How dared to end his life, when it was devoted to him from the start? Every single thing was so confusing at the moment. Sebastian didn't know how to feel. If that was even possible.

Without much thought, he left from the Phantomhive manor and never returned. To be honest, he wasn't the same person after that. Thorought the years he came to realize, that  he became quite... fond, of Ciel. Not only his soul, but the boy itself. He couldn't understand why, though he didn't want to. 

After all, he knew only one thing for sure: He was more than pissed. He didn't even taste, Ciel's soul. He could only smell it, and that was the reason he craved it so much. Sebastian went through a lot for that. He lowered himself as a powerful demon and served that egoistic and prideful boy and with him, the demon came to live the most humiliating moments in his entire life.

But... was it really that the reason he was pissed? 

Many years passed since then. Sebastian changed his appereance a lot of times to serve other humans, but when he consumed their souls -which definately wasn't like Ciel's, he was sure about it- he turned back to the form of Sebastian, the butler. He never asked himself why though.

The demon saw how the humans changed thorought the time. He witnessed a lot of historical events such as the World War I and II, the birth of Europe and the drastic change of the human mind. Deep inside he admired them, because unlike demons, humans can change easily and it's amusing to think how all those events could have turned out, if they had made a different decision.

But he didn't want to become attached to them. After all those years, the demon was still thinking about a specific human, from time to time. And he hated it.

And then one day, while he was admiring the lake in the Hampstead Health* -which was something like his Safe Haven- he decided to leave from the whole "make a contract with me" thing, and try to live like humans do. He didn't have something better to do and besides, his last meal was two days ago. He was filled for a very long amount of time. 

Finally, that's how he became a respectful teacher in the human society. He was teaching English and History in one of the most expencive private highschools in London and to be more specific, to the entire England. His life became quite normal for his liking, but at least it was better than nothing.

The crimson eyed demon thought that his life couldn't become any more interesting. He haven't see any reapers or demons for the past 50 years -nor that he complained- and last but not least, he didn't actually care for anything. Sebastian Michaelis had left even from the demon society.

Ah, but he was horribly wrong, as his life will change dramatically, when a certain human make his appereance... 

_______________________________

*(The Hampstead Health, is a real place in London and has a beautiful lake, surrounded by nature. I personally haven't been there, but that place will play a role to the story, later on).

Originally Published: Saturday 22nd, April 2017