TWO~Aurora

I pressed my back into the door and sank into the carpet. I could hear everything they were saying from my room but every so often they would drop down to an inaudible whisper. They were talking about us: their children. Samuel and I; and, Dina's supposed bundles of joy; Ellis and Lee. I'd never meet the twins with their 'bright blue eyes' and 'bushy blonde hair', the perfect children it seemed; but I'd heard Mrs Smith brag about them every Sunday for the past two months. There was a scatter of laughs and a knock on my door. I shifted across the floor and reached up to turn the knob. Samuel fell into my room and glanced around my room before spotting me. He shut the door as he took a seat beside me.

"Have you been listening in?" He asked throwing his head back slightly.

"Mostly," I sighed leaning my back against the door once more and closing my eyes.

"She's so obnoxious!" He groaned. "Just because we're not blonde and blue-eyed."

I opened my eyes scowling at him before clearing my throat for effect.

"Well except for you," he rolled his eyes. "Who knows where you got that from?! Grandad I suppose but he had like... grey eyes...?! I don't know. Anyway you know I can't see your eyes anyway.... So every now and then I do forget what colour they are."

I chuckled resting my head back against the door.

"They want us to meet, you know," he mumbled sighing. "I'm fine with it I just doubt, Ellis and Lee, the perfect children, are both gay."

"Yeah," I mumbled resting my head on his shoulder. "We could just be friends?!"

He shifted slightly and I could tell I'd struck a nerve.

"I have too many friends. I refuse to keep doing this to myself," he covered his face with his hands.

Samuel was nineteen, three years older than me, but we were inseparable. I knew everything about Sammy, even down to the fact that only his boyfriends were allowed to call him that. There was a reason Samuel was so desperate to meet someone else who was like him.

He had said he was done with relationships because after a few months they'd all bail claiming it was unnatural to be in a long term relationship with someone other than your soulmate. They were of course all right but Samuel just wasn't ready to find his soulmate. He never liked the whole dynamic of knowing who your soulmate is from being able to see their eye colour; after all, we knew a few couples who were unhappy in their soulmate relationships but didn't leave because that was the person you were expected to spend the rest of your life with.