Chapter 7

Wednesday morning, Naruto woke up to his alarm. He yawned before sitting up and stretching. He reluctantly went into the bathroom and knocked on Sasuke's bedroom door. “You up yet, bastard?” When he heard no noise he sighed before opening the door.

    He was surprised to find the room empty, the bed made up lazily. He left the room and headed down the stairs to start breakfast.

    Once again, he was shocked to see the two Uchiha brothers sitting at the island, eating breakfast in complete silence.

     “Uh, good morning?” Naruto finally greeted after getting over his surprise.

     Both pairs of obsidian eyes turned and stared at him. He laughed nervously under their gazes.

    Itachi gave him a smile. “Good morning, Naruto. I made some breakfast if you want some.”

    Naruto turned to the stove and started walking towards it. He examined the food, which was eggs benedict, before grabbing a plate and serving himself. He set his plate on the island across from Sasuke. “Not that I'm not grateful for breakfast or anything, but aren't you suppose to be at work?”

    “I have some flex time and I just wanted to discuss the nature of your relationship with Sasuke before things get, complicated.”

    Naruto’s face turned bright red and he nervously glanced at Sasuke, who was just eating his breakfast as if they were discussing the weather. Naruto brought his gaze back to Itachi and began to laugh nervously. “There’s nothing to discuss because there is no relationship! I'm just his caretaker, maybe friends at most but that's it, right Sasuke?”

     Sasuke glanced at the blond then to his brother before shrugging and going back to his breakfast.

   Itachi stared at the blond before lightly shaking his head. “Whatever the nature of the relationship is, or will be, I have no problems with it as long as you can still act as his caretaker without any special favors or overlooking anything serious. Sasuke can be kind of a manipulator and I wouldn't like to see you get hurt or lose your job because of it.” He gave him a smile as Sasuke glared at his older brother.

     Naruto’s eyes widened at Itachi’s words and he glanced at Sasuke before standing up straight and giving Itachi a determined gaze. “You can count on me! I won't be easily duped I promise you.”

     Itachi chuckled before standing up and placing his plate in the sink. “I don’t doubt it. Well, I'll be heading out now. See you two later.” He left the kitchen.

     Naruto kept his eyes on the entryway to the kitchen until he heard the front door close. He slowly looked to Sasuke who was staring at him, still eating his food. He blushed under the gaze and glared at the raven. “What?”

     Sasuke shook his head in response, still staring.

     “You’re creeping me out. Knock it off.” Naruto began to eat his food, keeping his eyes locked onto his plate.

     The two continued their breakfast in silence. As Naruto stood up to place his plate in the sink, he felt a tug at his sleeve. He looked down to see Sasuke casually leaning on the island. ‘I'm not as bad as my brother says I am.’

      Naruto looked him over carefully before shrugging. “Whatever you say.”

      ‘I'm being serious, moron.’

       Naruto rolled his eyes at the insult and took a step back. “Are you trying to convince me or yourself?”

       The remark from the normally playful blonde left Sasuke a little shocked. He watched as Naruto went to the sink and began to wash his plate.