Chapter Six

Crashing. Booming. Bright lights. These were all involved in crashes. The one thing that is also involved in car crashes was pain, which I was feeling none of. I didn't know why however. Maybe I was paralyzed. Maybe I was really dead and I was just floating off to wherever you go once you die. Maybe I did die, and I was thinking about what just happened. I didn't know what was happening until I looked down and saw the crash below me. Why was I floating like a bubble? I was definitely dead. Just a spirit looking down on my dead body from a stupid mistake that I had caused. But if I was a spirit then why couldn't I control my own body? I got a little nervous and started panicking. There was something wrong with me and I needed a way out of it. I looked around below then looked up. I saw him. He was in his weird state, glowing eyes and very pale, but he still looked the same.

"Jay?" I whispered rubbing my eyes. I couldn't stop the smile from appearing on my face. It felt natural to smile at the sight of him and I couldn't stop it. I was happy to be alive, but happier to see him. I realized I was wrapped in his arms and blushed. I could hear my heart and was sure he could too. He looked at me with a side smile and we began descending to the ground.

"Shh, don't scream okay? Just wait a second." He said pulling me to the side of the road. I felt some twigs and leaves crunch under my shoes as he put me down. I swallowed hard and watched what he would do next. Thankfully, Kyle lived in the least busy part of town, so cars passing through this road wasn't something that would happen anytime soon, and yet an 18-wheeler was. He closed his eyes and starting from the top of his jet black hair to the tip of his over worn dark leather boots, the color returned to his body. I stared at him wide eyed. "Sorry." He whispered. I put my hands in my pockets to try to get warm again. The wind was whirling through the air making the temperature below comfortable even with my jacket on. It was winter and the snow covered the road around us and a light layer laid in the forest. Despite my love for winter the frigid temperature made me shiver.

"What are you?" I asked looking at him. He looked so human, but he obviously was not. I craved to know more about him, everything about him.

"I told you I wasn't coming back but I had to. It's really complicated why, but I had to come back. I have to make sure you're safe." He said. I wondered in my head why I mattered so much to him. He said himself that he didn't like me. Recalling those words of his made my chest feel as tight as it felt when I looked up and saw the truck.

"Why me Jay? What's so special about me?" I asked, trying to maintain a calm voice.

"Are you complaining that I saved your life twice now? Wow Kayce." He rolled his gray eyes, which didn't seem so cold towards me anymore. I liked that.

"No it's not like that I just, want some answers." I said looking down.

"And you will get them I promise. Come with me." He said reaching out his hand. He wanted me to take his hand and follow him to who knows where. He was almost a stranger and he wanted me to follow him. Isn't that a "no-no" in the eyes of safety? Of course any sane person would have turned down the offer but I really wanted answers. I thought I might go crazy without them. Plus, some strange feeling in the pit of my stomach was taking over the rest of my body and made me realize that I trusted Jay. I trusted him with my life.

"Where? And what about my car? And that driver?" I asked. I was still questioning him, even with trust, I would always ask questions.

"It will all be taken care of I promise. Just come with me so I can explain okay? You just have to trust me." He said taking my hand carefully. He was about the same temperature as me which I found a little surprising. He carefully cupped my hand in his and it made me nervous.

"How do I know you're not going to like mug or hurt me? I barely know you." I said. He chuckled, and I saw a glimmer of happiness in his eyes, for the first time.