Chapter Sixteen

"What else do you need? I got bras, panties, sweatpants and jeans. OH! Makeup!" Alix said scurrying to the bathroom to collect my makeup bag. She and Seth were throwing all my things into a suitcase. Jay was making me leave with them to avoid his father as much as possible. Even worse than avoiding his father, was being forced to stay away from him.

"Where am I going?" I asked Jay. He was standing by our bedroom door. My throat felt tight from me choking back my tears.

"Venice." He said quietly.

"California?" I asked questioning his choice of place. He knew I didn't like the beach.

"Italy." He said. I looked back at him sadly.

"You're making me go to Italy without you?"

"Kayce its either go with them for a few days or stay here and get killed."

"So what if I die? I'll be with you forever!" I argued and his face turned angry.

"If you die, it makes us one step closer to being forced to rule the Underworld. You know that's what my father wants. He can't control you in Venice. It's a different district." He said clenching his jaw.

"I don't want to leave you Jay." I said sadly. I felt the tears burning my eyes and one drifted down my cheek. His eyes had stopped glowing a few minutes ago and were back to normal. He quickly had his hands on my hips pulling me close to him. I slowly put my arms around his neck and looked into his eyes. "I can't leave you." I said sadly and closed my eyes tightly, allowing the built up tears to fall. He wiped them and then hugged me tightly.

"Kayc' please, don't cry." He said hugging me tightly as his attitude softened.

"I can't help it. I don't know what's going to happen to you. To us. I'm terrified." I said sobbing. My body was quivering and he held me tightly.

"I am going to be fine. I will go see my dad and we will talk and everything will be fine."

"Jay you don't know that." I said pulling away to face him. "What if he finishes the carving? What if he traps you? I would rather die than lose you Jay. I don't want to go." I said softly.

"He won't do that. And I will not let him touch you." He said. I heard the suitcase zip and hit the floor. It meant it was time to leave. Jay stroked my cheek and I stopped crying. "I need to keep you safe, and you are not safe with me right now. You will be safe with them until my father leaves us alone again. Once I am finished with him, I will come get you and we can be together again alright?" He said and I doubtfully nodded. Some part of me knew of the possibility that I could never see Jay again and that made me feel sick to my stomach.

"Okay Jay. I will go. Please be safe." I said.

"I will. We will both be fine, don't worry." He said and lifted my chin and gently kissed me. I pulled away slowly. "I love you." He said and I hugged him.

"I love you so much." I said and he hugged me tighter. We released and I forced a smile at him. I wiped my eyes and went to stand with Alix and Seth. Alix was back to normal but Seth was still glowing slightly.

"It's alright Chicka, we will have fun and be back here in no time." She said and I nodded biting my lip. I looked up to see Jay and his eyes were locked on mine. 'Kiss me one last time' I thought to myself, hoping he could hear me. He stared at me and walked closer. He quickly cupped my face in his hands and kissed me passionately. His tongue grazed my lip and he pulled away slowly.

"I will fix this. I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I said and he kissed me one last time. And pulled away. I bit my lip again to keep from crying as he stepped away from us. I waved as I blinked and felt the wind.