Chapter Eighteen

"I don't care if I die just please stop hurting him!" I said to his father. He had an evil smirk on his face as he listened to me. "Killing me is something you've wanted for a while, isn't it? You'll take the benefits from my life or whatever it is that you get off on when you kill. Please, just leave Jay alone." I gritted my teeth as he smirked at me. His eyes were glowing green like everyone else's and I found it hard to concentrate on them. His evil face twisted into a grin as he stepped back from Jay's chair.

"Hm, I think this girl of your's has evil intentions Jay." His father said approaching me. I saw Seth and Alix hurry to Jay's side to try to untie him but they couldn't. It was like the ropes were cemented to the wooden chair. Maybe they were special, Underworld ropes. They looked like they were inflicting pain on him as he sat.

'I'm doing this for you Jay. I love you.' I thought to myself, hoping he could hear me.

"I don't have evil intentions. You can do whatever you want to me. But I can't let you hurt him. I just won't let you hurt him." I said sternly.

"You're telling me, that you, a mortal, would die for my son, just so he can remain living his days here on Earth?" He questioned. I looked at Jays struggling face and nodded. I realized then how much I truly cared about him. I would do anything to stop him from being in the agonizing pain he was suffering from now.

"Yes." I said simply.

"No. Kayce, don't do this it's not worth it! Please." Jay begged. I ignored him because I knew that he was worth it.

"Just leave Jay alone okay? You can take my life, but please, leave him alone." I begged. His father snapped his knife closed and put it in his pocket before smirking at me. "That means no more harassing him about being king. No more killing innocent people around him just to frighten him. You need to man up and just do your job. Stop trying to force it on your son." He walked closer and I clenched my jaw. He took a strand of my hair in his fingers and walked around me. I closed my eyes.

"The attitude on this one is intriguing. Interesting that you live with these, ghosts. Even my son, who has descended from demons, doesn't seem to frighten you. I am the king of the Underworld and even as I stand next to you, you don't seem frightened." He stroked my cheek and I made a disgusted face and pushed him away. He smirked down at me and rubbed his chin while looking back at the defeated Jay, still tied in the chair while Alix and Seth watched his father pacing near me. "I will take that deal." His father said. I looked into his eyes and glared at him. "In exchange for taking your life I will continue to rule the Underworld, and leave Jay alone. For now. You truly are an interesting soul." He said circling me and lifting my chin with his rough fingers. His revolting scent of dirt and wet firewood was drifting past my face as he continued to inspect me. "This way I can at least get my usual benefits from your death, and I know what it will do to my son to see your soul leave your body forever." He smirked. I nodded. I assumed killing just brought him joy, but I wasn't about to question now what the benefits were, and I did not want to know how I would have contributed to him.

"Kayce, don't do this to me please!" Jay begged. I looked at him sadly. I knew this was the right thing to do.

"What are you waiting for?" I sternly said to his father. He smirked and nodded.

"Good then. Say your goodbyes." He said. I inhaled deeply, probably my last useful breath, and looked at Alix and Seth. They lightly smiled at me, also in pain from touching the ropes as I waved to them. I looked to Jay who was still pleading.

"Please, Kayce. You are too young to die!" He said. I looked at him sadly, still not moving my feet.

"I love you Jay." I said as I felt his fathers hands roughly place themselves on my shoulders. His hands felt like stones that weighed thousands of pounds. My legs struggled to support my weight. I gave up on trying to fight his forcing hands and felt my body collapse under them. The scorching blade of his knife made a small incision in my neck and I closed my eyes and saw nothing but darkness.