Chapter 17

The door creaked open. Ella peeked in, her braids falling into her face as she tilted her head. The sent of roses followed her as she skipped in.

"Wake up," she said, gripping her dress. She parted the pink curtains, letting the sun shine in.

"Mmm, five more minutes," Caylah whispered, pulling the salmon colored comforter over her. Ella rubbed her heels against the carpet.

"Fine," she grumbled pulling her skirt down farther. Now she was wearing a long purple dress that dragged across the ground. On her shoulders and bottom of her dress was gold lines in patterns like a maze.

"I'm up," Alec said. He stood up, fixing his shirt. Ella smiled, she walked into the long hallway. The hallway was filled with flowers, columns, windows, paintings, and vases.

Alec followed her. He skipped down the stairs. There was no lights, or lamps, all there was was torches hung on the walls with thick metal cases. There was a shiny mirror at the end of the stairs. A bouquet hung from a small brass box.

A vase filled with sunflowers was in the corner. The window was wide open, sun shining through, the strong wind blew causing the heavy curtains to blow into the house.

"I love your house," he whispered, seeing another deaf girl pass. Ella had employed them because they had trouble getting jobs at other places. She smiled sweetly at Alec. She cut in front of Alec, walking to the door. She opened it up, yelling an animals name. She giggled, closing it.

"Thank you. Technically, it's Author's house. But, I decorated it as I wanted," she said, her smile wavered as she said his name. Alec saw, understandingly he shook his head, frowning the smallest bit. She took a candle on the coffee table; lighting the way as she took a step into the kitchen.

"Wow, it's huge," he gasped, sliding his hand over the milky wall, flowers embedded into the colorless paint. His heart beats faster, scared he'd mess it up somehow. Shyly, he put his hand back to his side, looking at the dining table. It was a dark oak, a beautiful set of China shone, the chandelier hung low to the table, a carpet was spread over the ground. There was a painting with flowers, lots of flowers. "I live in a mansion, but wow!"

"Oh, it's not that good," she said modestly, Alec peeked out the window, looking at the rain pour from the blueish-grey sky. He stared at a house beside Ella's own, he turned, quirking a well groomed brow. He pointed, he looked back at the window.

"Servants," she said. Walking to the kitchen part watching the chefs cook, "what is that?" she asked sitting at the table. "Where had Maggie gone?"

"We saw her in the garden last, talking to the farmers. Don't know what she was doin' though," he answered, pouring more stuff into the pot. He leaned against the table. Suddenly, Maggie appeared at the door, bowing her head at the queen.

"Mistress, the wizard is here, she wishes to speak to you," Maggie's head jerked up, as she walked back the living room. Yanking the door open. Kenzie looked up Maggie, who only sneered at her. "Peasant, what do you not understand why you don't understand we hate you."

Kenzie's eyes rolled back, turning pure white. She held her arms up. She wasn't strong without her magic, a weakling, but people saw her as strong. She started to speak Latin, saying that how the dress Maggie was wearing was beautiful. Maggie stepped back, letting the shorter girl in.

"Hello, wizard, what is it that you need?" She welcomed, bowing down slightly. Kenzie smiled, showing her blood-covered teeth. She looked up at Ella, walking a few feet closer.

"Salutations, Ruler of the Realms, but my calculation by the end of the month, there shall be much more people then these walls can hold. I am saying, we must build the wall around the whole city. But, if you do not, this will crash and fall," she concluded, looking up at the Queen, who sighed in frustration.

She adjusted her cloak, her sparkling blue eyes filled with hope, a breeze added to the suspense, the young girls stared.

"I can't. This economy isn't what it used to be, we wasted our money, it is tainted with darkness," she answered bitterly, her face twisted. "They took it all."

"We need to fight, start a war," Kenzie insisted, she looked at the ruler, tears pricked her eyes. "Our walls are breaking. We block it out, no entrance, nor exit. We get our money. We're not helpless."

"That is slavery, besides we were they're allies, we give them money, food. They are robbers, we are idiots, now we pay the price," her face softened, she placed a hand on her shoulder. She lead Kenzie away, the two girls talked about the wall as they left. Alec and Maggie glanced at each other, before looking away.

"A wall? What are we American?" Alec joked, leaning against the wall. He laughed, she grinned, a giggle escaping her plump lips, the two talked, until Caylah and Mya walked down.

"He-"

"Shut the freak up, I beat up a 20-somethin' year old. I can mess you up," Caylah threatened, walking past him, "where do you keep the food?"

"Heheh, she's funny isn't she, Alec. And I thought you beat him up?" She said, putting some things in the correct spaces. Mya bounced by, giggling. Her blonde hair was messy, her skirt was new, a pure white one, the black stripes weren't stained with grass and white powder.

Maggie laughed, and followed the girls. She helped them get breakfast, smiling as she did so. Alec suddenly felt the room get much colder. He walked into the kitchen Maggie gave him breakfast, her side ponytail looked beautiful. Alec had forgotten about who she really was, about her façade.

"That's stupid," Caylah grunted, gulping he food down, looking to the chefs. Who got her more food.

"Yeah, her heads messed up, she'll kill someone one day."