Chapter 6

**Marie's P.O.V**
“Why am I coming with you?” I demand again. Elle pulls her dark brown curls back into a silver hair lip and swishes on some lipgloss.
“Because you want to see my brother?” She suggests.
“He’s not even your real brother.” I grumble.
“But he’s close enough.” Elli sings.
“You can’t just claim sibling!” I argue.
Elli rolls her eyes. “Just did. He’s my brother, you’re my sister. See, there. It’s easy!”
“You’re an idiot.” I groan.
“But I just set you up to spend the day with your crush. So… you love me.” Elle winks.
“Fine.” I scowl.

When Joseph picks us up, Elli hugs him and slides into the back seat. Where there is only room for one of us.
The little devil!
I go up front with Joseph and he gives me an awkward one armed hug. He looks embarrassed and flustered so the drive is silent.

When we get to the farm (Which is a farm in name only, with few animals and fewer crops) I hop out of the vehicle but Joseph and Elli stay put.
I can just barely hear their conversation if I strain.
“... Next time you bring around a friend, let me know before she gets in the car…” Joseph says.
I flush in embarrassment. You’d think that he would be  a little bit happier to see me! And what’ll Elianna say?
Elli and Joseph get out of the car and Elle hugs her brother. Their voices get quiet.
“If you love her… act like…” She says.
“... everyone’s…  as bold as you…” Joseph hisses.
“I’ll be… safe…” Elle giggles.

She leaves her brother-friend’s embrace and skips over to me. “What was that all about?”  I ask, trying to be nonchalant. Elle shakes her head. “He’s just overreacting. Again. Surprise, surprise.”
I look over at Joseph who is leaning against the car. I kinda wish that Elle would go away.
“So where’s Austin?” I ask, trying to lure her away.
“In his bedroom.” Elianna giggles.
“Going to join him?” I tease.
“I think that I will.” She calls out as she saunters off towards the house.

I breathe a sigh of relief but now I have no idea what to do. Suddenly, I feel breath on the back of my neck. I turn around and see Joseph.

“I thought that she’d never leave.” He says smiling shyly. “You never hugged me properly.”
I turn and fly into his arms.