Chapter 16

**Elianna’s P.O.V.**
As Austin holds me, my anger slowly ebbs away. I stand up on my own and wipe my face. It is wet although I don’t remember any tears falling.

“Princess, what is going to happen to us?” Austin begins weakly.
I shake my head because I don’t know. The three words I hate the most. I hate not knowing. Not knowing how to prepare for something. I didn’t know that Joseph was coming and I ended up hitting him. Speaking of which…
“I have to apologize. For hitting Joseph.” I say.
“Yeah, you probably should.” Austin answers.

We stand, hand in hand, as we wait for Joseph to return with our verdict. He returns so with Marie close behind. A bit of rage boils up in me when I see her. After all, she is the one who sent Joseph after me but she looks right at me and nods once.
She prods Joseph forward, “Come one, just like we talked about.”

Joseph sighs. “I’m sorry.” he mutters. “I’m not your father or brother. You’re not my responsibility.”
“Are you going to haul me home?”
“No.” Is the final, hollow word.

Joseph turns and marches out of the room. Marie runs to me and kisses me on the chook before chasing after Joseph.

I turn to Austin who is staring after them both. “We’re free! Princess! We’re free!” he yells. He pulls me to himself.
I want to be joyful but the look on Marie’s face and the tone of Joseph’s voice makes it difficult. We may be free but we do not have their blessing.