Darkness

I frantically paced, wondering how I was supposed to get my flute back. That led me to one option. I made sure no one was looking and dove into the lake.

I saw a gleam and swam down towards it. In a patch of grass that was somehow growing in the lake, lay my flute. I reached in and grabbed it. I heard a swish, then I looked up.

A purple fin slapped my face. I gasped, not remembering I was in a nasty lake. The water was nasty. I quickly coughed it out and followed the fin. I was directly behind the huge purple tail, when the tip of my flute hit the fin!

The tail jerked back, and I found myself staring at a merman. He had dark skin, and looked familiar. Our eyes both went wide with realization. Then we both busted out laughing. Then coughing out the water, then laughing again.

I motioned for us to surface. "Isn't it a little dangerous to be swimming in this lake?" Hunter asked me, with a smirk on his face. "Right back at you," I said, laughing. "Yeah, and it still is dangerous, follow me," Hunter said, going under the water. I dove under and followed him.

I couldn't exactly see Hunter's tail through the murky water, so I just followed the bubbles that he created as he swam.

There was a big gap in the rocks in front of us that Hunter swam into. We swam through the tunnel for some time, then we surfaced. We were in this lagoon looking thing, that was surrounded by rocks. "So, why did you bring me here?" I asked him. "So nobody will see/hear our conversation," he replied. "How, exactly, did you become a mermaid?" Hunter asked me. "Well," I started to tell him the story. About the river, the moon, my ring, and the lighting. He stared at me, thinking.

"So, what are your powers?" Hunter asked. "I can control weather," I answered. "Now, can you tell me how everything is connected?" I asked him, excited for answers. "Okay, so your birthstone is a ruby. On your birthday you had your birthstone. This is why your tail is red." Hunter started. "Wait, my friend's tail isn't green and her birthstone is an emerald," I told him. "She must have had mermaid blood in her. That's the only way to turn into a mermaid other that what happened to you." Hunter answered. "Not everyone is struck by lightning though. Whatever their power will be is how they are turned into a mer. Since your power is controlling weather, you were turned mer by lightning." Hunter said. There was a moment of silence. "That makes sense," I finally said. "What about you, how did you turn into a mermaid?" I asked Hunter. "Well, I was born mer. My tail is purple because of my power too. I have celestial power. Purple, is celestial. I had human blood in me, so I am half mer." Hunter explained.

"So, is everyone half mer?" I asked him. "No, half mer is extremely rare. There are only three at a time. Which would be you, me, and your friend." Hunter said as my eyes grew wide.

Hunter turned around at a sun dial laying on one of the rocks. "Look at the time! We should probably head back now," Hunter suggested. I nodded and we both dove under. We swam through the tunnel and into the lake. We stayed near the bottom. Once we got to the middle of the lake, the water became almost totally black. I immediately knew something was wrong. In the center of the black cloud, was a clearing. A woman, with pale skin was there. She had black hair, and the tail of an eel!! WHAT!?! I thought to myself.

The woman flicked her tail out and grabbed Hunter! He tried to escape, but her tail was stronger than his. I went to go help, but Hunter held up his hand for me to stop. He took off his necklace, and threw it at me. I quickly caught it and swam away.

Tears streamed down my face as I surfaced and thought Who was that woman?