Date Night

John's POV

I was the first to arrive, I may or may not have come 10 minutes early just out of excitement. And I also wanted to make sure we had the perfect seating.

1. Mood lighting, the lights need to be lower than they are at the front of the restaurant to set a more 'date' vibe

2. A booth, preferably in the corner, so you weren't sitting across from each other, there was always the ability to shuffle closer in some way

3. Away from families, or anyone with children.

My eyes locked on the perfect spot around the corner from the bright fluorescent lights of the entrance. I slid into the booth, leaning back into the red cushions. Everything was so glossy, the tables, floors, even the roof. I suppose because it was 50's themed. All the staff dressed the part too, the female waitresses in poodle skirts with scarves around their necks and the boys in tight white shirts tucked into dark blue jeans.

"John?" A feminine voice I knew all too well questioned from ahead of me. My head shot up to see Peggy in her 50's attire with a clipboard under her arm.
"Haha hey Pegs," I greeted, leaning forward on the table.
"Are yooou... waiting for someone?" She asked, a mischievous smirk dancing on her lips.
"I maybe possibly certainly am waiting for Alex?" I muttered, the slightest blush creeping onto my cheeks.
"Aw John!" Peggy squealed in delight, leaning down on the table. "I'll make sure your food and service tonight is nothing less of the best." She assured with a wink.

I smiled, thankful to have one of my best friends have my back tonight. Right as Peggy ran off to deliver a set of dishes to another table, Alex walked in the door.

I swear my heart stopped for a moment, he was beautiful. I attempted to call out to Alex but a lump formed in my throat and I struggled to say anything.
I can do this. All you have to do it call him over. Why is that so hard?After some more self-reassurance I was able to calm down.
"Alex!" I called out with a small wave, catching his attention. Alex just stared at me, unmoving. Oh god was there something wrong? Is it was I was wearing? Was my hair okay?

Suddenly I notice a stunning smile grace his features and he began to walk over. He slid into the booth beside me.
"Hey John," he smiled, his voice a little shaky.
"Hi," I replied, hugging him hello before we found our spots. That was the best hug ever.

"Did you see Peggy here?" Alex laughed, looking back at the kitchen for a moment.
"Yeah I didn't even know she worked here! Let alone had a job," I chuckled, loosening up a bit.
"Speak of the devil," I muttered to him with a smirk as Peggy made her way over.

"Hey guys, here are your menus, any drinks tonight?" She asked with a ginormous smile, handing us our menus that were shaped like little jukeboxes. I considered milkshakes, just for the 50s vibe, but by the way Alex was inspecting the alcohol I wasn't sure if that was an option tonight.
"I'll have a coke please," I smiled while Alex thought for a moment.
"Cherry vodka cruiser." He smirked. So he was drinking tonight? Fine by me, if I'm honest. He's probably giving me payback for the first night we met. Peggy wrote them down on her board and winked as she walked away.

We spent a while talking about classes, scanning through the menu. We ended up getting a burger and fries each, and when we finished we just sat for longer, Alex starting on Sam Adams while the topic of conversation shifted to our dorm rooms.

"This always happens, last year I was constantly getting kicked out of our room so Herc and Laf could be together, because I mean, they couldn't kick Laf's old roomie out, James Madison." I explained, leaning on the table with one arm.
"The only logical solution would just be to put them in a dorm together, then nobody's getting kicked out." Alex laughed with a shrug. "Actually,"
"That's not a bad idea." I tagged in. We laughed and I noticed we were both sitting considerably closer than we were at the start of the night. Alex finished his drink and stood up, grabbing my hand.
"Let's head out for dessert." Alex proposed as we moved away from the table.
"First, I'm paying." I piped up. Alex swivelled around quickly.
"No no, I'll-" Alex began to interject but I cut him off with a finger to his lips.
"It's not my money, it's my Dad's, I have a card linked to his account, I just never use it. We can blow as much as we want off it." I explained, Alex still looked questionable about it.
"My Dad's a prick, honestly," I muttered with a shrug, earning a nod from Alex and a sigh.
"As long as YOU aren't paying." Alex gave in. I nodded and payed at the front desk with Dad's card while Alex waited at the door. We waved Peggy goodbye and walked into the night. We had just begun to walk when I felt Alex's hand slip in and interlock with mine. I sucked in a sharp breath and looked away, not wanting him to see my ruby red cheeks.