Winter break

Alexander slapped the 51-page essay down on Mr Washington's desk. The class fell dead silent. Washington stared at the stack of papers with a bleak expression, his eyes wide.
"Whaaat," Jefferson finally cut in, leaning forward to see the pile a bit better.
"Hamilton, the minimum was 6 pages. How many is this?" Washington asked, rubbing his temple and closing his eyes, struggling to comprehend what he was seeing.
"Fifty-one." Alex beamed.
"Fif- what the fuck." Washington whispered under his breath, stepping back from his desk.
"What can I sayyy except you're welcome?" Alex grinned cheesily, pointing half-hearted finger guns at Washington.

"Sit down Alex." Washington muttered, a small laugh escaping his lips as he picked up Alex's essay and put it in his bag. "I have to mark 51 pages." Washington silently cried under his desk before he popped back up ready to teach.

"Well, last lesson before winter break!" Washington smiled enthusiastically, clapping his hands together. A few whoops and hollers of excitement echoed through the classroom before Washington signalled for them to settle down. "Now I hope you all have somewhere to go, because the school dorms will be closing down during break, if not, see me after class to make apartment arrangements in the city." Washington explained, making eye contact with Alex. Alex simply smiled and Washington returned it.

"So, in celebration of your last lecture before break, let's do a kahoot!" Washington announced, cheers erupting through the room. (If this isn't the most Australian thing I've written besides Alex wanting Lamingtons then shoot me right between the ribs.)

"I'm gonna thrash you Hamilton!" Jefferson laughed, pulling out his laptop from his bag.
"Bite me jefferbitch," Alex spat back, retrieving his laptop as well.
"Hamilton, language, and no inappropriate names." Washington warned, opening a new kahoot quiz on the board at the front.

Alex typed in the quiz code and connected to the board, typing in his username.
"Who is wankeroni?" Washington yelled as the phrase 'wankeroni has joined the game' popped up on the board. Alex sunk down in his chair giggling as Jefferson yelled defensively and Washington deleted the user, forcing Alex to submit a new username.

He signed in as simply '51' which made Washington laugh. Once the whole class was in Washington started the quiz. The first question appeared on the screen concerning the history of America's founding fathers.
What year was Daveed Diggs elected president?
Alex nonchalantly selected '1800', leaning back in his seat for the results. He got the question right, scoring first place with Jefferson under him in second.

"That's bullshit!" Jefferson said with a pout. So this was how the whole quiz was gonna go.

---

Class ended and Alex practically skipped to his dorm room, throwing open the door and seeing John packing most of his clothes into a suit case.
"We're free!" Alex yelled with a laugh as he ran towards John, jumping into his arms.
"Raise a glass to freedom!" John sang, hugging Alex tightly. "Half-way there." He spoke determinedly.
"Half-way there," Alex repeated with a smile, looking up at John and pecking him on the lips before he slipped out of his arms and began packing.

It didn't take long for Alex to pack as he really didn't have that much to take with him, considering he wasn't very wealthy and always wore John's sweaters. One small suitcase was all he needed. Alex left it by the door and moved into the kitchen to check their fridge for food that might go off while they were away.

Alex wasn't surprised to see the fridge was practically empty, half a carton of milk and a slice of chocolate cake sitting in there. He tipped the milk down the sink and pulled out the cake.

Alex lifted the slice and got frosting all over his fingers. He took a bite and hummed with delight at the sweet taste gracing his taste buds.
He took the cake out to where John was and held it out to him.
"You have to try this." Alex muttered through a mouthful of cake and wide eyes.
"It must be good, Laf and Herc made it," John laughed, leaning forward. He was about to bite the cake but swung around and hit Alex's lips instead, sucking the leftover frosting off his bottom lip.
"Dang that is good," John laughed as he pulled away. Alex stood, dumbstruck with a flushed face. He lifted his frosting-covered fingers and wiped a little on John's nose, chuckling as he struggled to get it with his tongue.