A new addition

3 years earlier

John glared at the small pill bottle while Alex stood at the stove, stirring the contents of his pan rhythmically.
"John," he warned glancing back at him with a frown.
"But they're hard to swallow, and they don't do anything," he mumbled, shoving the bottle across the island bench away from him.

Alex sighed and put his spoon down, turning around and throwing his hands on his hips.
"How old are you?" He chuckled softly.
"3 and a half," John averted his gaze with a small smirk, causing Alex to roll his eyes.

"Alright little one, here's what we're gonna do," he announced, moving to the fridge and retrieving the ice cream. John's eyes instantly lit up eagerly and he leaned forward in his seat, adjusting his glasses.

Alex grabbed a spoon and put some ice cream on the spoon, pausing to grab a pill and wedge it on top before putting more ice cream on top, sandwiching the pill. He walked around the bench with the spoon and stood beside John, holding the spoon up.
"Here comes the aeroplane," he teased, causing John to scoff and shove him gently.

"I'm not a baby," he mumbled.
"Well you sure are acting like one, go on, the sooner you get this down the sooner you can enjoy my home-made tacos," Alex grinned happily. John sighed and reluctantly took the spoon, eating the ice cream and taking the pill down with it.

"See, that wasn't so bad," Alex smiled gently, pecking John's lips and taking the spoon, also swiping John's glasses as he pulled away.
"Alex!" He groaned, quickly standing up and waving his arms after the blurry ball of colour he assumed to be Alex.
John mumbled a string of curses under his breath, causing Alex to snicker. "Why don't you stop being a sob and put some music on," he grinned, turning back to his pan.

"Not without my stupid glasses on," John countered, crossing his arms.
"Naw, I think I suit them," Alex grinned, striking a seductive pose against the counter, which John had no reaction to.
"I can't tell, maybe because I can't see." He deadpanned.
"I'll come a little closer," Alex grinned, slipping up to stand right in front of him.

John chuckled a little when he came into focus, their faces centimetres apart.
"You do look rather dashing," he smirked softly, holding Alex's hips.
Alex smiled and leaned in to close the space between them, kissing him softly before pulling away to return his glasses.
"Now, gimme a beat, then come help me chop,"

"Weed?" John gasped in fake horror, bringing a hand to his chest.
"Yes John, yes, I smoke lettuce," Alex deadpanned before laughing a little and shaking his head.

John smiled and giggled, pulling out his phone and quickly connecting to their speaker, putting spotify's hottest hits on shuffle in the background.
"There she is!" Alex beamed, bopping to the music as he put the lid on his pan to let it simmer, dancing over to the fridge to begin pulling out various vegetables.

John laughed and made his way around the bench, pulling out knives and a chopping board.
"Think fast!" Alex exclaimed, throwing tomatoes at John. John yelped in surprise and began frantically trying to catch them all, Alex laughing like an idiot.
"You dick!" He yelped while Alex laughed.
"Your reflexes are on fire," he grinned, watching John roll his eyes and prepare to cut up the tomatoes.
"I know," John smirked, raising the knife and getting to work.

Alex brought the lettuce out, taking some leaves off and rinsing them before moving to stand beside John, also getting to work cutting up vegetables.

They sang along to the music quietly, working efficiently to get the vegetables prepped, as they had many a time before, tacos were a regular in the Hamilton-Laurens household. Once the food was ready Alex grinned, plating up two empty taco shells at the kitchen bench and displaying an array of fillings beside them.