8: Gotham's Fall

I woke up in the middle of the night with a pain in my mouth. I groaned and touched my cheeks. My stitches were still there just as a precaution. All the talking people do and smiling is enough to snap the things off, and my skin was still healing. It was hard to heal such a delicate spot.

Serves me right for being reckless with them.

I sighed and rolled out of bed, putting some clothes on. Joker and I had fallen asleep after sex. The man was currently curled in the covers. I kissed his forehead and started to leave.

I reached for the doorknob and slowly turned it, pulling the door open ever so quietly.

Two hands grabbed my hips. I flinched and turned around to see Joker, wide awake and eyeing me curiously. How he slipped out of bed without me hearing, I don't know. 

"Getting Advil," I explained innocently, my voice a small whisper. 

"Advil, or morphine? I checked the records, and there's less morphine recorded than you've apparently used. Almost as if someone is indulging in it."

I groaned and shook him off of me. "Look, I need it."

"You don't."

"I do."

"Don't."

"Just go back to bed, alright?" I barked loud enough to wake anyone in a mile radius. This wasn't a smart idea. I darted for the door, and he pinned me against the wall, causing my head to slam against it. He clearly didn't mean for that to happen, reaching up to place his hand against my head, but before he could say a word as I kangaroo kicked him off of me. He stumbled back.

"You're a dick." I turned away from him and started to run down the stairs. He chased after me, but I was much faster. I locked myself in Morphine General and started my little ritual.

He kept pounding on the door, trying to burst through but I had already injected that sweet, sweet juice into my arm. I leaned back in my chair, relaxing.

I heard a gasp and shot up out of my seat, carefully removing the needle I had forgotten was stuck in my arm. "Lucy," Becca gasped. Apparently, she had been sleeping in my old room. She was the nurse on call, I guess she just found it more logical to be here so she could help patients faster.

She rushed over to me and snatched the bottle from my hand, reading it before gasping. "Oh, Lucy, no, this is a much higher dose than the stuff we usually have. This could k—"

Black ghosts, reapers, almost, started to slip through the walls. I screamed as I felt myself start to sweat and shake. "T-They're all around us." I couldn't control my hands, or my body. I just burst out of Morphine General, pushing the door open so fast Joker landed on his ass. He was so shocked I got a good head start on rushing out. The ghosts kept chasing me, I could hear them whispering my name as green lizards started to nip at my ankles.

I started to hop out of the way so they couldn't bite me. Something deep inside my body was stirring. I couldn't tell what this was.

It wasn't just a morphine overdose.

I closed my eyes, and when I opened them again, it was daylight.

Joker was with me. I frowned. "What are you doing here?"

"Do you not remember what just happened?" he snapped. I frowned and looked around me. I was on top of a building in the middle of Gotham.

I gasped, looking down as I quickly backed up, turning to look at Joker with wild eyes. "H-How am I not dead? I should be in a hospital bed right now."