13: Pushing Selfishness Aside

How was I alive?

That was the first thought that came to mind as I sucked in a shaky breath, gasping as I gripped onto the sheets beneath me for dear life.

I turned to my left to find a crumpled Joker in the hospital bed next to me, black eye, broken nose, busted lip. It wasn't as bad as it was before, he was now patched up and cleaned up. I don't know who cleaned off all of his makeup, but whoever did was going to have to face his fury later. 

My bed shifted as someone sat beside me. I lifted my head up to look at the person, finding Charlotte's worried eyes studying my face. "I'm going to lock you up myself before you get yourself killed."

I snorted and rolled my eyes, turning my gaze to Joker once more. "Is he okay?"

"He tried fighting me when I took his makeup off, but he wasn't strong enough. So. . . Not so well. He's seen better days. . . " 

I tried to lift myself up, but I had zero upper body strength. I collapsed back on the bed and let out a groan.

"Is he okay?" I looked up from my bed to see that Harley had walked into the room, sporting a busted lip and a heavily bruised arm. Some of her fingers were in splints. She was staring at Joker with worry. I felt my jealousy rise.

"He hasn't changed in condition since the last time you checked. Thirty minutes ago," Charlotte spoke with pursed lips. 

Harley's eyes narrowed as she noticed that I was awake and staring at her. "How could you let him in your drama?" 

The adrenaline from her statement and the pure rage I felt from it granted me enough strength to sit up. "Excuse me?" I asked.

"When Joker and I dated, not once did I let him get hurt. I would always protect him, even if he didn't care to protect me. He risked his life and got the shit beaten out of him, and for what? Your tantrum?"

As much as I didn't want to admit it, she was right. I didn't answer her, I just turned my head to look at Charlotte. "I have to go."

"Where?" she asked worriedly.

"To see Riddler. I'm going to solve this once and for all." I shakily pulled myself out of my bed and collapsed, groaning. "Fucking hell."

Charlotte jumped right out of her sitting position to grab the pair of keys laying on the counter by the pile of bagged medical equipment. "Let me drive you there, at least." She flashed me an innocent smile before grabbing my uniform and straightening it out for me. She had either found my other identical, clean uniform, or had time to clean the one I wore to the fight while I slept. 

Her forwardness worried me. "No, you're going to get hurt." If I knew her, she'd try to protect me. She'd try to jump in when things inevitably became heated between the two.

"Why, are you going to be fighting him?" She folded her arms. 

"Depends on how much strength I have. Can you hand me some morphine? I'm in pain," I grumbled. She folded her arms.

"No, just Vicodin for now. The fact you're getting even that is too much." She handed me one pill with her slender fingers. "I'll drive you."

"I'll stay here and watch Joker," Harley spoke. She wasn't being all high-pitched and annoying anymore, she seemed to have sobered up seeing the crumpled man lying there, breathing softly in his sleep. 

Normally, I wouldn't have allowed this, but I wasn't going to make another selfish decision for him. If she was here to help, and she was really going to help him, I had to put my feelings aside.

"Okay," I spoke. Charlotte took me into my old bedroom to help me dress in my uniform as I slowly mustered my strength back as I gained motion slowly in my limbs. I turned to Charlotte. "Hey, look at me."

Her big, innocent eyes met mine now. "Yes?" She asked, clearly surprised.

"Promise me you won't come inside? You'll wait in the car, no matter what?"

She smiled. "I promise."