24: New Day

Author's Note: Alright so it seems like most of my old readers have gone. It feels like I really don't have that many anymore. Please leave a comment if you're reading this story and you enjoy it so I can see how many people there really are who are following this series. Feels pretty empty.

---

After The Joker left, I run my hands through my hair and lay back on my bed. I checked the time. 9:30PM.

I let out a sigh before my fingers typed in my best friend's phone number. I clicked the call button and waited patiently until she finally answered the phone after a few rings.

"Hello?" She answered with a pant. "Sorry, I just got done running a mile."

"It's 9:30 at night. Why are you running?" I questioned, humored.

"Babe's out for the night, needed something to do," she spoke with a sad tone. "Hey, why don't you come over for dinner tomorrow when he comes home?"

I let out a long sigh. "Okay Charlotte, no offense, but in the world of super villains, Riddler's kind of an arrogant twat. He does this thing where he one-up's everyone to prove his intelligence."

Charlotte didn't respond for a split second before she let out a giggle. "That's funny. But it's true,  he can be a little. . . . Pushy about that."

I groaned. "You have no idea. Joker's wanted to strangle him several times in the duration of our relationship. Speaking of which, I kind of fucked up."

"What did you do this time?" she spoke, letting out a breath of air. 

"I. . . May or may not have slept with The Joker."

"What?" she squeaked. "What? When? How? Why?"

I scratched my head. "Well. He called me, tried talking me into coming home, came to my front door, practically forced himself in, then we talked, he touched my arm, andddd. . . . Well. . . We did it. And then afterwards, I kicked him out and told him I didn't want to be with him. I wasn't ready."

A groan came from the other line. It was so loud I could have heard it even if my phone wasn't pressed against my ear. "How could you do that?"

"I don't know, Char! I'm having a really hard time adjusting to this new life. I'm doing so well and all in school but less than a year ago I beat the Lambo my father bought me with a fucking baseball bat. How long is it going to be before I say fuck med school and go back to destroying shit?"

"I don't know, Luce. That's something you have to figure out on your own."

"God dammit!" I groaned. "Okay, I guess you're right. Thanks for the talk."

"Anytime."

--

I wasn't sure what the next move was now. What was I supposed to do?

My day went how it normally went. Went to class, studied in the library, but instead of staying at the library for a few hours, I came home early and placed my backpack on my desk. 

I decided to do something I hadn't done in a long time. I lifted my hands up in the air and let my power flow through my hands. I felt the dark shadows release as they surrounded me. I felt the power swirl inside of me, and cried out in joy. 

I was powerful. Still so powerful.