19: Arkham Asylum, Part 4

Day Two

I woke up with searing pain in my face. The pain was so awful that the nurses gave me a higher dose of painkillers. I lay there for a few hours, thinking about what to do about my recent discovery, but I was so depressed by the thought of Joker betraying me that I couldn't do anything but lay there. I had no energy to get up, or even move. When they brought me my meals, I felt no hunger. I denied all meals by turning my head away and refusing the orders of the nurses. Not only was it extremely painful to eat, it was also something completely undesirable. 

When Dr. Young came to talk to me that night, I ignored her until she left. She didn't push me, and left me to grieve. 

Day Three

Because of my behavior yesterday, I was diagnosed with depression and given some medication to help aid me in my time. I refused every pill they tried to give me, but ended up swallowing them anyway when a burly nurse came in and put pressure on my face until I screamed. I took the pill before he hurt me any more, and after he made sure I didn't throw it up or sneak it under my tongue, my Doctor rushed in and checked on my wounds. 

"Thank you, Dr. Weber." 

"You need to eat," she advised.

"Why do you care? I'm a super villain."

She smiled. "No. You were just sick. No one is too far from help. That's what we believe here at Arkham Asylum."

"Then you're as delusional as me," I responded. I ignored Dr. Young again, and she gave up a lot quicker than the night before. I ate dinner that night. It wasn't enough to satisfy my hunger, but I didn't want any more food.

Day Four

My face started feeling a lot better. Dr. Weber told me my face was healing beautifully, but she wasn't going to show it to me just yet. Told me it looked too swollen now for me to see any change, and she didn't want too much exposure, so she wrapped my face back up. I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

When Dr. Young visited me this time, she gave me a test to complete. When I asked her what it was, she said it was a test from one of the top Professors at Gotham University for fourth year Med students. I took the test and gave it back to her. It took her ten minutes to correct it with the answer key, reviewing my answers before grinning at me.

"Well well well, Lucy. It looks like you know your stuff. Once we deem you sane, my dear, I'll send a written recommendation to Gotham University so you can finish your education. Dr. Weber will send one as well. Lucy, we really believe in you."

I hesitated. "I don't know what I want."

Dr. Young smiled. "Don't you see? Your scars will be gone. You will make a decision on your own, this time."

I was never the best decision maker in the world. 

Day Five

"You have a visitor," one of the Arkham guards spoke as he walked into my cell. I had been moved back to my cell with a new bed. Dr. Weber would check on me twice a day and the nurses would re-dress my wounds twice a day along with administer me medication. 

I frowned and lifted myself up from my bed. I looked in the mirror and found myself looking awful. My entire face was bandaged, except for my mouth and eyes. I looked like a mummy. My hair was still disheveled and short, uneven as well, but the nurses had bobby pinned strands down so it wasn't constantly hanging in my face.

I let out a sigh and straightened out my white long-sleeved shirt and white pants. I followed the guard, wondering who the visitor was.

Once we arrived at one of the visitation rooms, the guard opened the door and let me in it. "I'll be back in fifteen," he spoke, winking at my visitor before closing the door behind us. 

My body stiffened when I realized who it was.

The Joker.