36: Comatose

We placed Joker on the hospital bed and started to hook him up to machines to monitor his heart rate, oxygen levels, blood pressure and, to be safe, intracranial pressure. Can never be too safe, especially when the patient is my very own lover. 

"So, the man finally croaked and shriveled up," I heard a snickering from behind me, I turned to see Will standing there, leaning against the door wearing a smug look on his face.

"How are you not dead yet?" I sighed and shook my head, wiping the layer of thin sweat that had dabbled on my forehead during this stressful event. "He's not dead, he's just. . . Well, I don't know what he is because all his vitals look fine."

Will snickered and started to walk closer, and I was going to tell him to leave myself, but Tammy walked over and slapped him across the face so hard he ran into the container of soiled linens. I gasped and placed my hand over my mouth. 

"What the fuck?" Will snapped at her.

"Look here lil' man, if you were real hot shit you wouldn't wait until Joker is near comatose to make a move on his girl, you'd do it while throwing caution to the wind. Run out of here, boy, you ain't shit."

I nearly lost it by howling at that wicked burn, but I kept my composure and smiled. "Be gone, Will."

He looked furious, and, well, helpless. He glared at the woman who had just embarrassed the living hell out of him, then looked back at me. "You know where to find me."

"Yeah, but yet I haven't sought you out yet. For, how long has it been?" I questioned. "Leave."

Will rolled his eyes. "I'll be waiting for you, whenever you're done trying to impress your friends."

Yasmine grabbed Will by the ear and pushed him out of the door, slamming it in his face and locking it. "BOY, BYE." She started to mutter, changing her gloves. "Stupid lil' prissy boy comin' in here."

I focused on Joker now, who was clearly not dying, but clearly not waking up. Whatever was wrong with him wasn't something I could fix medically, it had to be some sort of mental power Zero Xavier used. Too bad everyone we sent to fight him was already dead, or. . . Er. . . Comatose.

"Baby," I softly spoke, shaking Joker. I took his hand in mine. It was safe to say that my entire staff had thrown professionalism out of the window today, but for a good cause. "Wake up."

Joker made no sounds, but I felt his pointer finger twitch in my hand. I cursed under my breath and turned to my girls."I need twenty-four hour surveillance on Joker. He's all of our bosses, all of our paychecks," I spoke, before whispering to myself. "And the love of my fuckin' life."

"Where are you going?" Sammy asked, her and Becca had just left the medicine closet with some IV bags in hand."I'm going to go sell my soul," I spoke, grabbing my coat. "Beep me if anything changes with Joker. If any other patients come in, tend to them, but they are second priority to our boss." I unlocked our doors and opened it, closing it behind me. I started to walk towards the van, but I stopped to put my hand on my head and really think. Was this a good idea?

I thought back to what happened with Joker, what happened with all the henchmen. . .The giant mushroom cloud bombings. . . I had to do this. For the sake of Gotham City. For the sake of Joker.

I drove to the tallest skyscraper in Gotham, rode the elevator all the way up to the top floor, and waited on the roof top, looking out at the puffy, white clouds and the birds that flew by. Every second that passed held a reason for me to leave, but I stay put, waiting for the person I needed to speak to the most.

"It's almost like you're trying to get caught, Miss Morphine." I smiled, I turned to meet the eyes of the masked man. 

"Batman, I have a proposition."