39: Cataclysmic

(Author's Note: The Batcave I'm writing of is the one from the Arkham video games. The Batmobile I'm writing of is the one from the Tim Burton movie, Batman Forever.)

I was tapping my foot loudly as I sat in Batman's Bat Cave. I was also biting my nails, a habit I thought I got rid of when I was a teenager. I stopped myself every few minutes when I consciously realized what I was doing. 

I stared at my phone, which Batman had removed from my hands and placed a few feet away. I was only allowed to touch it if it rang, that was his rule. Apparently, this was going to help my nerves. 

In actuality, I believed the caped crusader was full of shit. 

Batman groaned after a moment of studying the map to turn to look at me. "Will you stop tapping your foot?" 

I started tapping it louder and harder onto the floor, shaking the objects surrounding me. The floor of the Bat Cave made a metallic noise each time my foot landed upon its solid surface.

His eyes narrowed behind his Bat mask before he let out a sigh. He sat down on the couch and folded his arms, staring at me. It was kind of a funny sight, seeing Batman just sitting on a couch staring at me with annoyance written all over his face. 

I stopped and smirked at him before I turned to my phone, which had started to ring. I quickly shot up and grabbed my phone. "Hello?" I questioned, panicked.

"M-Miss Morphine. . ." Tammy spoke on the other line, I could tell she was gasping and out of breath. Perhaps injured.

"Are you alright? Is everyone alright?" I questioned frantically. I waited for her next words impatiently, tapping my foot again, biting my nails again. Without a word, I felt Batman take my hand and pull it from my mouth before letting it go and looking at the map again. I put my hand in my pocket instead of in my mouth. 

"Miss Morphine, I'm afraid that Joker and I are the only ones who made it. . . "

I collapsed on the couch now, my hand burying itself in my hair as I felt my heart bang against my chest like it wanted out of it. I could feel the dryness of my mouth now, the hard dry swallow of my petrified mouth, the flutter of my tired, tired eyelids. "Are you injured? Is he injured?"

I heard as her voice broke, the sound of crippled sadness cried out of the line as I felt pain in my heart at the inhuman sound she just made. "Miss Morphine, I lost my hand. . . But Yasmine, Sammy, Becca. . . They. . ." Her voice cracked. "They made sure Mr. J was safe and made me run out with him first, they tried running out but-. . . ."

I tried to calm my breath. I felt like I was about to puke listening to her words. This couldn't be real, this just couldn't be.

"Zero Xavier shot them all in the head as they ran out, I was lucky to have been able to hide in the back of a van until he left. . . ." She was sobbing. "I-I had to watch him kill m-m-my friends. . ." The pain in her voice was too much for me to handle. I started to clench my fist.

I felt my blood boil. I felt an anger swell in me I had never felt before. "He killed almost all of my girls. . ." I whispered, mostly to myself. "Tammy, sweetie," I spoke, taking her and myself both off guard. My girls had always been around ten or more years younger than me, and I never thought of myself as someone who was capable of maternal feelings, but those girls were the closest thing I had to children, and one of them was alive, and she needed my help. I gave her another address. "This address is the shelter we have for instances like this, of course now I have to change it," I spoke, glaring at Batman who had seemed to hear the information and wanted to make use of it for future purposes. Y'know, like when I inevitably became a villain again. "But for now, it's a safe house. Just go to the big rock in the center of the ground, there's a switch in the rock if you put your hand in the hole to the left of it. A number pad will come out, and it will ask for a password. The number is Joker and I's anniversary. You know what it is. I'll be on my way, but I'll be a little late. Gonna take me a while to get back to civilization," I spoke, rolling my eyes at the Bat Cave.