Chapter 17 Lemon Chicken

Every step Jasmine and Alan made her stomach churned, Alan never leaving her side was not helping her either! Benedict was escorted by Dean Decker to the Forensics and as much as he wanted her company [and questions her about Alan] he really is running late. The strutting sound of Alan's shoes was driving her insane, Jasmine let out a startled gasp as her boss placed his hand on her shoulder. Facing him with mortified expression she dared asked, "What is it?"

Alan shrugs and smiles, "You look like you're walking towards hell's gate and was in dazed, I just wanted to bring you back."

He brought her back alright and she found herself looking at those pale amber eyes she always adored. "I'm deeply sorry for the inconvenience." She replied almost inaudible.

Without prior warning his arms were around her, guiding her along the hallways, she was about to question him but he was quick to answer, "Chloe gave me a tour last week."

They reached the faculty of arts and humanities' office, Alan opening the door and leading her in. The other professors at present gave Alan a friendly hug and the warmest welcome they could manage, acknowledging him as their equal. Professor Lucas Dippet spotted Jasmine at the far-end corner and gestures for her to follow him in his own desk.

Professor Lucas Dippet is a sixty year old, funny teacher the same age as Alan. Their difference can be duly noted how Alan's physique rivals those in mid-forties meanwhile the other professor was... let's just say that Jasmine resorted in describing him as a kindhearted charming man.

"Well.." he began "I am aware of the volunteer services you do here in KCL and I wanted to ask you a simple favor, if you could perhaps wanted to join the drama club in an outreach program in Waterloo this month." As he finished his sweet talking he handed Jasmine a leaflet containing the details of the program in question.

Jasmine smiled from ear-to-ear, "It would be an honor professor! I'll finish my entire thesis on my War Studies and Classics for this to be possible."

"Hahaha, your enthusiasm is what my colleagues admire in you. I look forward in seeing you in Waterloo Miss Matthews and thank you for agreeing with me." His gleaming white teeth made Jasmine closed her eyes, afraid she'll go blind from its whiteness.

While Alan was busy talking with the other professors, he was, in fair play, heard the discussion of Jassy and Professor Dippet. Word for word. As the respected professor of linguistics exits his chamber, Jasmine hurriedly went to the exit door and quietly slipped out.

As soon as she departed the room, Jasmine sprinted down the corridors and went straight to her next class which is... basic cooking. As the door opens, all eyes fell on her.

"Miss Matthews, good heavens have you forgotten how to knock?"

"I am so sorry Professor Maggie."

"You better hurry, everyone's almost done."

'"Right away, madam."

Jasmine hurriedly prepares all of the needed ingredients for her lemon chicken, a million thanks for the mother superior for teaching her delicious lunch meals, lemon chicken being one of them.

Dear readers to reduce the state of confusion you are in.... allow me to explain, remember Professor Dippet's outreach program? The mini-cooking auction was one way of gaining the fund for the program and Jasmine's class is the one in-charge this year. Each student will cook their specialty and will be open for auction, sold of course to the highest bidder.

The auction will be held in an open area near  the King's College London Chapel on Strand Campus. Teachers and students gathered in the chapel to support the fund-raising program. Delicious variety of food is laid. Professor Margaret Dawson or Professor Maggie as she much prefer stepped into the podium and began the food auction. Asian cuisines were among the first to be auctioned including the famous kimchi of Korea, takoyaki of Japan, 'adobo' of the Philippines and so much more that the food laid filled the hungry stomachs of the bidders. European, Mediterranean, and Indian cuisines were featured next. The surrounding was filled with people munching their food and for the record... the highest bid amounted to two thousand pound sterling and the over-all amount accumulated by this mini-food auction was amounted to, twenty thousand UK pounds!

"It's getting time for lunch~," professor Maggie announced, holding a fruit punch on her other hand, "and that means it's time for the box lunch auction."

Cheers and laughters came from the crowd as everyone gathered around for the bidding. The remaining students from professor Maggie's class came to the center, carrying lunches they'd made especially for the auction. Alan watched from a distance, having no intention of bidding on anything as he was perfectly contended by the crepe he ate. Seeing young lads in the bunch stepped forward with much shoulder smacking and ribbing from their friends. Each boy had a lady in mind and each lady blushed in response.

Two or three of the lunches came and went without gaining much of his attention, but when Jasmine suddenly stepped into the forefront, his mind snapped to.

A few of the young lads he saw and none other than Lucifer Morningstar worked their way to the front.

"What's my bid for this basket?", the lady professor asked. "Jasmine's lunches are legend!"

The crowd laughed and lad #1 raised his hand. "I bid five hundred pounds!"

A few people applauded at the opening bid.

"Two thousand pounds." And another round of applause ensued.

"I bid five thousand pounds!" Lucifer shouted with a wave of his hand, and everyone gasped as if like it were a fortune.

The hair stood on Alan's neck. As he saw satan (in name) winked at Jasmine. He couldn't let Morningstar win this bid. Whoever bought the lunch also bought the right to share it with Jasmine.

"Seven thousand pounds!" Benedict Cumber batch suddenly blurted out, appearing out of thin air. Hair glistening from the sun and face flushed from running all the way to the auction ground. And the group fell silent.

"Ten thousand pounds... cash."

Professor Maggie's jaw dropped as everyone in the ground turned to look at Alan Rickman. "Did- did you just say ten thousand pounds?"

Evidently he'd overdone it. Jasmine's face was scarlet and most of the people around him appeared to have quit breathing. But he'd gotten in too deep to back out now. "Yes madam, I did."

The professor nodded. "Going once? Going twice? Sold to Mr. Alan Rickman!"

He definitely had overdone it. The pitiful round of applause couldn't mask the hum of discussion that quickly shot through the crowd. Hands covering mouths didn't slow down the tongues wagging behind them. Benedict knew she worked for him and with Chloe's knowing look, they will assume she did more with him than work.

Jasmine dropped her gaze and walked with her boxed lunch and scarlet face through the crowd to stand in front of him. "Where would you like to eat?" she asked, her voice soft and hesitant.

He wanted to apologize to her but not with all eyes and ears focused on their direction. Luckily another girl bought her basket to be auctioned and the attention diverted. Some of them.

"I'd like to speak with you in private." He said, motioning to the side yard away from the prying eyes of the crowd.

Jasmine simply nodded, still finding it difficult to form words. Ten thousand pounds for a chicken for the life of her, she couldn't figure out why he'd done it. Though from the look on his face, she had the feeling he already regretted it. Maybe he'd meant to say well... a thousand pounds and another zero found its way in the four-digit number and slipped out? She followed him in the side yard where the shadow of the chapel cooled the air considerably. Alan motioned for her to sit before he hesitantly joined her.

"I'm sorry I embarrassed you," he said, averting his eyes.

Embarrassed? The sexiest man in her eyes had done battle for her and won, and he thought she was embarrassed? She'd never been more flattered in her life.

"I wasn't embarrassed, just surprised." She laid her hand on his arm and waited until he lifted his eyes on hers.

"Why did you do it?" she asked.

A/N: PLEASE DO NOT KILL ME.. >.<

){