Chapter 29 Sherlock Strikes Back!

Previously on Breathless...

… as Meredith's Light Laughter fluttered in the air.

“Alan you look so handsome tonight,” Jasmine heard her say as she returned with the dumplings Julia requested.

Alan chuckled and made a return comment on Meredith's beauty that Jasmine tried her best to ignore. She helped Julia into her chair as Meredith says, “What is that?”

Jasmine and Mrs. Woods glanced up, looking for a mouse or lizard or something that would've caused such a reaction of horror, then realized Meredith was referring to the dumplings. Jasmine flushed.

“Those,” Alan said, placing a healthy portion on his plate, “are the best dumplings you'll ever eat.”

“Oh.” With a lift of her perfect eyebrow, Merefith placed a hand against her heart. “Well,” she said mockingly, “how quaint.”

Jasmine headed back into the kitchen and Mrs. Woods couldn't ignore her teary eyed expression before she left.

“I swear, Alan, how could you even eat things like that.” Meredith added.

Alan dug into his dumplings while taking a bite of the steak at his side. Finding it difficult to understand his sister-in-law and her rules on conditions. He loved Jasmine's cooking and her  laughter and her company, which he was beginning to miss sorely. Where was she anyway?

He glanced toward the kitchen anxiously awaiting her return, but when she failed to do so, he assumed she'd already eaten.

“Isn't that right, Alan?”

Alan jerked his attention back to Meredith, realizing with embarrassment he needed to comment on something she'd said, and he hadn't been listening.

So he said, “Absolutely,” which must have been the perfect comment because she beamed in approval before continuing. Rima always said that Meredith was a wonderful dinner convertionalist, and he guessed she was. It was his fault he often had trouble staying focus. But through the years he'd learned to nod and say, “Interesting” and other things that allowed her until dessert.

“May I be excuse? I want to talk to Jassy.” Julia's question interrupted Meredith's current story and the look of reproach she gave his daughter seemed a bit extereme, but then, she wasn't used to being around children.

Alan nooded his permission, secretively envious of Julia's request. He wanted to talk to Jasmine too, and as soon as his sister-in-law was settled in for the evening, he intended to do just that.

Contrary to Alan 's desire to spend some time with Jasmine, Meredith who, at every chance she gets drags Alan to chat or walk with her or to accompany her in buying this and that. Talking to Jasmine seems impossible at the moment.

Alan who was eternally grateful at his teaching career managed to get away with Meredith's clutches. He is currently on his way to KCL when his phone began ringing. Briefly glancing to see who's calling... he frowns when he saw Meredith's name appeared. Alan Rickman in an instant made a rule not to answer phone calls while driving unless it is an utmost importance, knowing Meredith she'll probably rant about petty things or start a conversation about random topics. He knew Rima would forgive him for ignoring her sister's call, besides, he is getting annoyed with Meredith's demands. Can't she survive a day without him at her side?

Parking his car, Alan grabs his coat and bag with enthusiasm he never knew he possessed. He is starting to love teaching more and more.

As Alan made his way to the podium earlier than usual, he was surprised when Benedict Cumberbatch greeted him.