Chapter 24 The Roque and the Mouse

"Come down from there, little mouse." He spoke in the careful tone a person uses when struggling not to become a madman.

"I do not think that would be a good idea. You appear very annoyed."

"Annoyed doesn't begin to describe it. Down. Now."

"I think it would be best if you calmed yourself first."

"I am quite calm. I will be even calmer after I get my hands on you. I will not regret the things I'll do with you little mouse. People around you indulged and spoiled you and you think that you needn't obey anyone. I am giving you the punishment they should have dealt you years ago. After that I will be calmer than I have been in days. Get down here quickly and it may not go too badly for you."

The discomfort of her current situation suddenly didn't seem so bad. "You have no authority to abuse me thus."

"Little mouse, you forget your situation. I am the Lucifer Morningstar. I have all the rights and authority to do whatever I wish with you, for the last time, climb down that tree."

She glared at him. Her situation was ridiculous, but his threats were intolerable. "Fine. Turn away. I won't have you watching me and looking at my almost naked self."

With an expression of profound exasperation, he turned away. She waited a short while before saying, "I can't."

He turned and narrowed his eyes dangerously, "What do you mean?"

"I am stuck. I can't get down."

"Of course you can, you little witch. You got up there, you can get down."

"Don't be stupid. It doesn't always work that way and you know it. Even animals get stuck. In fact, I cannot even get myself off this branch."

"Like hell. Climb down that damn tree or I will come and get you."

"Really, Mr. Morningstar. Spoiled or not, I am a Lady. Your language - "

"My language?"

"See? You are not the least bit calm. And you should not come up to help me, gallant though the offer is. Look at this branch. It is not very strong it barely took my weight."

He studied the limbs with grudging recognition that she was right, "I think that you should go and find help," she suggested. "I might be able to manage if I had a rope to hold on to."

"You insult me, Jasmine. I do not have to be a philosopher to see what you are up to. When I leave here, it will be with you slung over my saddle, woman."

"If you are going to be unreasonable and stubborn, we have a serious problem, Lucifer. I suppose we are going to stay here until we starve? That is a very clever solution." He glared up at her. She half expected his fury to give him wings so that he could fly and get her. He stomped over to a nearby tree and sank down to sit on its shade. He stretched out and made himself comfortable.

He plans to wait her out. Well she had a very strong incentive to beat him at that game. They stayed thus a long, silent while, Jasmine dangling on her high branch while her wet clothes dried, Lucifer sitting below and glowering up at her.

"Who are you meeting?" he finally asked. He sounded a bit less furious. "You came to meet someone. Who? Benedict Cumberbatch?"

"Benedict is in New York. I planned to meet no one."

"That is a lie. The last in a whole series. You are well practiced in deception. I will have to remember that in the future."

She began to refute him, but stopped herself for one thing, there was no point in arguing. For another, she was well practiced in deception.