Everything is not what it seems

"Here is the developer team and the designing team." Xavier introduces me to the employees. He had asked me to come to his company after my courses. So here I was. I was really excited to watch how the employees are enjoying their work. They were not working alone but in teams and trying to debug some codes. They were having fun coding or designing the software. I could say they really love what they were doing and Xavier being their boss was not the type of arrogant, strict boss who will not have time when his employees needed him. He is actually really cool and friendly with them and when there is something wrong, there is no one more serious than him.

"I really like how they work here." I admitted. I don't know why he call me here but I really like this company.

"Hi guys! How are you all?" Xavier asked his employees and they gave him a huge smile while replying him. They were looking at me curiously.

"I think that all of you know who is this young lady with me." Some nodded and smile at me while others were still giving a curious look.

"She is my daughter-in-law, Tatianna." Xavier stated.

"Hello everyone" I smiled at them.

After having a chat with the teams, Xavier guided me to his office. One side of his office was made up of glass where you get a picturesque view of the city.

"Do you want some coffee or something?" He asked as soon as we sat on the cornered sofa.

"Some hot chocolate will be okay." I said while still staring at his office. Xavier stood up and asked someone to bring a cup of cappuccino and hot chocolate.

"So you like the office?" He asked.

"Of course. I like it a lot." I said honestly and Xavier gave me a huge smile.

"I'm glad you like it. Actually I called you here as I wanted to show you around the company."

"Okay.." I was confused why he wanted to introduce me to his company. Is it because he wanted to give it to me?

A woman came into the room with our drinks. I took my hot chocolate from the tray and smile at her. Xavier did not say anything after that. He kept glancing at his watch. Are we waiting for someone to show up?

I was lost on the delicious hot chocolate when suddenly the door burst open revealing Ethan. So we were waiting for him!

"Why did you call me here dad?" he asked Xavier. "And what are you doing here?" he asked me, eyeing me curiously. What I can't be here?

"I wanted to talk to you both and I thought here is the right place and time." Xavier answered while directing his son to take a seat.

Ethan gave me a confused look while I shrugged. I kind of know what Xavier want to talk about.

"Tatianna, I've always wanted my company to be for my son then to my grandson. I didn't want to give it to someone else and as my son doesn't want to be involved in business, I've decided to give it to you then afterwards you'll give it to my grandson if he accept to have it." He explained and I knew this was coming. I could tell that Ethan was shocked as he froze beside me. He was still trying to process what his father said.

"I'm sorry dad, but I can't accept the offer." I said with a serious tone. I've enough with this heir thing! I can't accept something that is real in this fake relationship. After one week, I won't even be part of this family.

"Why can't you? You love software development. You love technology and I know you would handle the team really well as you have all the skills required. » He reasoned.