Chapter 10

Chapter 10

-Erika

How could Val of all people do this?? She did the same thing in the New York sanctuary!

"Val?! How could you agree with them? You did the same thing!" My hands shake with anger and Alec holds on tightly to my hand.

"Things have changed now. After everything we've all been through... This life isn't for you, Erika. You're a girl of science, belonging in a lab and working on the cure and vaccine. Not risking your life out there."

"I already made the vaccine. They wont be able to turn me, I'm vaccinated. And I'm a good fighter. And you get to fight. You have 2 children and a husband. I don't. I have science. And I've done my work for science. Now its time for me to fight."

"You made the vaccine?! Why didn't you tell us??"

"Vera and Max need the vaccine to live in this world," Carter speaks this time. I miss my neice and nephew..

Sighing, I shake my head. "I wont go. You can take them the vaccine but you wont be taking me."

Emmett sighs, exasperated. "Erika if we found you, then you know mom and dad could too. And then you're putting everyone here in danger. Is that what you want?"

"No, but--"

"No but's. You either risk everyones life here or you can come home and then never find out where you were."

"I am 25 damnit! I have the right to do what I want, where I want, with who I want!"

"Maybe before the apocalypse, but that's not the way it is no more. You could die doing what you're doing here. No, you will die. Just look at what's already happened to you. Its horrible," Emmett points at the scars on my arm and I quickly try to cover them but Alec pulls my hands away.

"Its beautiful. She's beautiful. Their just reminders of how strong she is and what she's overcome and what she believes in. You're her family, you should accept and support her decisions. Its her life, she has the power to control it and no one can take that away from her," Alec glares at them before turning back to me.

"We wont accept her decision to die! I've already watched my brother die, I wont just stand around and let my only sister die too!" Val starts to cry and quickly leaves the room.

Carter sighs, "Erika, I love you, and you're all is my family. And your decision is causing the rest of us pain, look what you've done to your sister. Not only that, everyday your neice and nephew ask where you are and if you're even alive, which we can't even answer because we never know. Your family loves you and by doing this, you've turned your back and abandoned us all. We just want you safe and alive, and these other people safe and alive. That's why we didn't tell your parents where you are. But they've found you once and they will again. And then, you'll not only cause your family pain, but the rest of them too." He shakes his head and leaves to go after his wife.

Emmett takes a step closer to me. "You will come home one way or another and you know it. Mom and dad will have you drug out of here kicking and screaming if they have to. The only difference is, if you come with us now, you wont be taking everyone else down with you. Starting with him," he points to Alec. My blood runs cold and tears stream down my face. "I already know your answer from the look on your face. Say your goodbyes and pack your things, we leave as soon as possible." I sob and he leaves the room.

I stand abruptly and wipe my tears. "I'm so sorry.. I can't be the reason your hurt, or anyone else. I.. I have to go.."

"Erika.."

"Please don't.. I can't take much more right now.."

His eyes look sad as his hand slips away from mine. I lean down and to his surprise, kiss him.

His lips are soft and his skin is warm as it comes into contact with mine. It takes him a moment to catch up with what's happening, but then he soon reacts. Heat spreads throughout my body, as if the kiss ignited a flame inside me that I never knew existed. All sorts of sensations run through my body and I never want it to come to an end. But it has to. It was so amazing and perfect in every way. And I'll never get to do it again..

I pull away and look up at him. "Goodbye, Alec." I leave the room before he says or does anything that I know I wouldn't be able to resist staying for.