Chapter 23

Chapter 23

-Erika

"It worked.. Holy shit, it worked! You found a cure!!!!" Alec shouts beside me as I stare, gaping in shock at the now human inside the cage in the lab. He was a vampire an hour ago but now he's human. Or looks human. I still have some tests to do. "Erika?? Helloooo?" A hand waves in front of my eyes and I snap out of it.

"I can't believe it worked.." I turn to Alec and start to smile. "I.. I made a cure.. I MADE A FUCKING CURE!!!"

He laughs and kisses me. "Congratulations.."

I smile and turn to the human. "My name is Erika, can you tell me exactly what you remember?"

"E-everything.. My name is Shaun.. I remember it all.. Even being a monster.."

"You had no control. Don't ever blame yourself for what that disease did to you." I unlock the cage and let him out.

"You made the cure? How do you know if it truly worked? That I wont just get the disease again?" He looks around the lab as if seeing it in a whole new way.

"If its okay with you, I'd like to run a few tests. And monitor you closely so we can know for sure."

"Yes, please! Do whatever you want, just please don't let me go back to being that way.." He shivers at the thought and I rest my hand on his arm.

"Its going to be okay, Shaun. I'm not going to let that happen to you again."

-----------

After a week of tests and monitoring, we've finally concluded that the cure worked. Its an actual cure that can save the world.

I've already made most of the delivery system machine built, there's just a few more modifications left. I've had some help, luckily some of the men were engineers and mechanics before all of this.

"How's it coming along boys ...and girlfriend?" Alec looks up at us as we all work on the machine.

"Almost done! Just got to finish with the core regulator and insert the vaccine. I called my dad and told him I made the cure. Jared's taking blueprints of the machine and the formula for the cure. Then my dad will have it all spread out across the world and the cure can travel through the atmosphere much faster with each delivery system made. I estimate withing a few months at most, we'll be vampire free." I smile and finish tightening a bolt inside the machine. I climb out and slide off and move to a computer that's set up to monitor the machine.

"I'm so proud of you," he kisses my cheek and I smile as I type away.

"That's the last of it!" Shaun slides off along with the others and smiles. "Fire it up."

Nodding, I hit the enter button and the machine comes to life. I monitor everything and its all functioning just the way it should be.

"It works!"

------------

Today is the day. The cure will be launched and within the next few weeks, everywhere around the world other scientists will be doing the same. Soon enough we will rid the planet of these animals.

Everyone gathers outside of the bunker and stands around the machine. Alec stands beside me, proudly as he watches me as I bring the machine to life.

The countdown plays on the speaker connected to the computer and silence fills the crowd. "10.. 9.. 8.. 7.. 6.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.." I hit the enter button and the giant cure is shot into the air. It explodes in the atmosphere and begins to spread its way through the air.