Chapter 20

Chapter 20

-Erika

Another 2 months of failed attempts at the cure has begun to make me believe that there will never be one.

There's been no Alec, like he was all just a memory, as he's been avoiding me. Or just too busy to care. I don't know anymore with him..

But I do know that he left for a mission hours ago and will probably be back sometime soon, since Jared is so inclined to inform me about him. But Alec not being here makes what I'm going to do next much easier.

I turn to Jared and sigh, sitting in my desk chair. "I'm leaving, Jared."

His brows furrow and he sits up straight in the desk chair. "Leaving? Where to?"

"New York. There's nothing left for me here anymore." I stare down at the papers full of scribbles and formulas that have been crossed out from my many failed attempts. I've officially lost count now.

"What about Alec? What about the cure? What about the cause?!"

"Alec and me are done. The cure is impossible. And I honestly don't know what I believe in anymore. I just.. I think I need my family right now." Sighing, I close the file labeled 'Failed Attempts' on the front of it.

"What about me?" He looks sad and hurt and it makes me feel so guilty to be the cause of it.

"Jared you will always be my family too and I will always love you, you're going to be my bet friend forever. But right now I need to go, everything here reminds me of the past and its causing me pain to stay here. Please tell me you understand.."

He sighs and nods. "I do. It completely sucks, but I do. Just promise we'll still see each other."

I smile. "Of course!" I hug him and he gives a sad smile.

"Come on, go get packing. I know you want to be gone before he returns."

"I love you, Jared. Thanks for always being the best friend I could ever have." I smile and grab all my files, shoving them in my breif case.

"Don't you ever forget it," he chuckles. "Catch me before you leave, okay?"

"I will." I grab my things and head to my room. My heart sinks with sadness but I know that there's nothing left for me here.. So I begin to pack.

------------

-Alec

"Last stop in the city everyone. Clear out the warehouse and get the hell out of here. Everyone, get in formation!" I command the soldiers and they follow orders. "Move out!"

Beta group kicks in the door and takes out any straggler vampires foung inside. The rest of the groups move inside and I survey the area. No vampires in sight.. Just a large warehouse with large windows that take up most of the walls.

And then a loud sound of glass shattering fills the silent room. Vampires burst through the windows and I stumble, my vision blurring.

The sound of shattered glass fills the room as vampires burst through the windows. I watch as Erika is tackled to the ground by one and lunges at her with its fangs. "Erika!" I shout at her and she turns to me, frozen in her spot. My gun goes off and the vampire goes limp on top of her. Tossing the creature off of her, I help her to her feet. "What's wrong?"

"He.. he killed my brother.." She turns away and wipes the tears from her eyes. I rest my hand on her shoulder and she turns to face me. That's when she screams, "Look out!!" I quickly turns and jump in front of her, blocking her from harm. The vampire's claws drag right across my chest, deep and painfully. And then I fall to the ground.