Chapter 14

Chapter 14

-Erika

"You know you don't have to go out there, I can go for you," Alec lays shirtless, sprawled out on my bed while I pack a bag. We've been spending practically every minute together since I've gotten back a week ago. We've learned so much about each other over this time, and I'm finally getting to know the real Alec. His parents were killed by a bunch of vampires when he was a teenager, leaving him and his siblings on their own. He has one sister still alive and she lives in a sanctuary in Seattle. He had another but she was turned into a vampire a few years ago. His brother is in a sanctuary in Miami and he's part of Miami's army. His sister is a doctor though. Neither of them wanted to join the rebellion, and he wouldn't let his sister join the dangerous life. So he's on his own now.

"I have to get these supplies for the cure. And you probably have no idea what half of these are." I smile and walk over to straddle his waist.

"I know.. I just finally got you, I don't want anything to happen to you while you're out there." He rests one hand on my hip while the other trails up my arm.

"Come with me then. I'll be safe with you."

He smiles and sits up, kissing me breifly. "Okay." He kisses my neck and leaves a burning hot trail down my collar bone.

"But you can't worry about me everytime I go out."

He sighs, "I know. Its just.. this is war. Cure or no cure, its war between us and those creatures. They don't hesitate to kill. And I don't want that kill to be you."

"And I don't want it to be you." I kiss his cheek and he smiles.

"So how exactly are we going to spread the cure?"

"Well. Its going to be tricky. Finding a cure is hard enough. But a delivery system is just as hard. I'm thinking of designing a machine that can shoot up into the atmosphere, and it will spread world wide. That way the cure can be inhaled when they breathe."

"How long would it take?"

"Well it could take awhile but if I send the design plans for the machine, and the cure, around the world.. then scientists can create it themselves and it will travel in the atmosphere much quicker. Its just a step by step process."

"Well I hope it works.. for my sister."

I smile but it never reaches my eyes. Jakob could never get the cure after Carter killed him. I understand he had to do it to save my sister.. but now that I'm so close to a cure, it can't save the one person I want it to the most.

"Hey.. I know you wish Jakob could have it.. but just think of the good its doing for people all over the world who's lost their family members to this disease too." He tilts my chin up to look at him, "Jakob would be proud of you."

Nodding, I climb off of him and finish getting everything I need. "It has to work. We can't all keep going on with our lives like this.."

"Its going to work."

"How are you so sure?"

He sighs and wraps his arms around my waist from behind. "Because I believe in you. And I know you can do it."

I smile and finish packing my bag. "Then I guess we should get going. You should go pack."

"Already did." He smiles, "I wasn't ever letting you go without me. Not after what happened last time I wasn't with you on a mission."

"Well we aren't clearing a city of vampires this time." I grab the bag and turn to face him. "But I'm glad you feel the need to keep me safe."

"I feel lots of needs when I'm with you," he kisses my neck and I swat his arm playfully.

"Come on we can't stay in the bedroom forever, Mason and Jared are waiting."

He groans, "But I like the bedroom. Its where I can do all sorts of things to you, unlike in public." I laugh and toss him his shirt. He reluctantly puts it on and goes to grab his bag.

We all meet up in the garage and Mason loads the van up with our bags.

Mason climbs in the drivers side and Jared hops in the passengers side. Me and Alec go in through the back and slide onto the row before closing the back doors.

We hit the road for the long trip ahead to get all the supplies. Most of which, we have to go out of state to get.

"So you're sure this is going to create the cure?" Jared looks back at me.

"Have I ever failed you before?"

He smiles. "Ask me that after this."

------------

Its taken about 4 days to finally get all the supplies. We've all taken turns driving and stopped a few times to rest.

We've done a good job of staying out of trouble with the vampires but we've had a few close calls.

Mason's taking his turn to drive and me and Alec rest up in the back. Jared's the navigator, a poor one at that, and tells Mason where to go.

Resting my head on Alec's shoulder, I close my eyes and finally allow myself to relax. The trips had my nerves on edge, worrying someone will be attacked, or we wouldn't be able to get all the supplies. Or even when we had a lookout at night, sleeping in the van, that the vampires would attack us all. But now we're a few hours away to being back home.

The van jerks as the tires slide on ice and my eyes immedietly snap open. Before I can grab onto anything, Alec encompasses me and protects my body with his own. The van jerks side to side until the tires are no longer on the ground. My eyes never close and I watch as the inside of the walls of the van spiral, and we slam on each wall. The back doors to the van fly open from all the commotion and the early morning light shines inside.

And then Alec's arms aren't around me anymore. And then it all goes black.