Chapter Four: History

It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again

Wiz Khalifa – See You Again

Sixteen, the restaurant was an upscale place located in River North. It boasted high ceilings and a gorgeous contemporary modern theme with low lights that set an intimate mood despite the fact they were here for lunch time service. The menu in front of Maggie was expensive, more expensive than she would ever allow herself to afford on her normal salary as a detective however she wasn't here as a detective, she was here as Oskar's accountant. Through the course of her undercover work with him she had eaten at some of the most exquisite restaurants in the city, it had given her an opportunity to extend her culinary palate. That however did not make up for the company that she was keeping. As usual she was a lone woman at a table of middle aged men, all were dressed as smartly as she was however she was the only one not carrying. The usual players were here, Oskar, Oskar's brother Jacob, one of his body guards. It was a quiet affair where they could discuss business, he had already instructed her to remove two hundred grand from his private safe when they returned to the office and she noted at the time that he had been very unhappy about it. She hadn't been around for the rest of the conversation but she'd caught the intention of violence in the air as she was requested to attend a meeting back at the office later on at four thirty.

Dinner was over now and the gentlemen of the table seemed to be content sipping their freshly brewed Italian coffee as Maggie poured aromatic tea from a small pot into her tea cup. There was movement ahead of them, she saw a flash of something gold and a flurry of agitated voices at the hostess station before a man she recognized rounded the corner. It took a moment for her to put Al Olinsky's appearance into context, she was too startled by the fact he was here in the restaurant to put together any of the pieces. He hadn't changed much since the last time she'd seen him. He was still wearing his trademark hat, this time only in a different pattern than the usual black. His hair was shorter now and his goatee had become peppered with even more flecks of grey than before. The grip on her teacup tightened as he approached the table before she replaced it upon the saucer. The loud clink of china drew Oskar's attention before he followed her gaze. This was a tricky situation, one that Maggie knew that Al would sail through perfectly. He didn't even look at her as he stopped abruptly opposite Oskar who was seated to her right.

"Detective Olinsky." Oskar greeted with a jovial tone. It was the same tone he had used last night when he had killed Rodderick and it made her jaw clench and her stomach clench at the sound of it.

"Would you mind stepping up for a second so that I could have a word with your boss?" Al asked the bodyguard gruffly. Alberto cast a glance at Oskar, who took a long sip from his cappuccino in response to this request. She understood that it was a play of power, Oskar wanted to show Al that he wasn't worth the concern and Al, well he had never taken too kindly to someone who was rude to him. Before she knew what was happening, Al had gripped the bodyguard by the collar and was hoisting him to his feet. He used the momentum to toss him to the floor before slinking seamlessly into his chair. Jacob was on his feet instantly, his nostrils flaring like a wild dog as Al reviewed him stoically. Oskar reached out and placed a hand lightly on his brother's arm gesturing for him to sit down.

"You know, I know that you were behind the heist this morning." Al began, placing his clasped hands on the table.

"Heist?" Oskar queried, feigning innocence.

"Yea." Al persisted, that dogged determination set in his eye.

"I don't think so, no. Magdalena has been with me all morning, we running through the accounts." Oskar informed the other man, resting his elbows on the table and crossing his arms over his chest.