Chapter Fourteen: See You Again

We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

Wiz Khalifa – See You Again

"I wandered today to the hills Maggie, to watch the scene below,
The creek and the creaking old mill, Maggie, as we used to long, long ago," Detective Antonio Dawson sung under his breath, tapping out a tune on the steering wheel with his fingertips as his keen eyes took in the street around them.

"Yo Dawson, quit it." his partner Detective Maggie O'Neill muttered, using the back of her hand to slap his arm. He tilted his head towards her, watching as she selected a yellow M&M from the open packet on the dashboard and popped it into her mouth.

"We've been watching this guy for three hours already, I have to do something to entertain myself." he huffed before reaching over and flicking open the glove compartment. "I may have that Rod Stewart song Maggie May on CD somewhere."

"Don't you dare." she scowled at him, slamming the glove compartment shut with her palm and almost catching his fingers in it. There was silence between them for a few moments whilst Maggie slumped down in her seat, her eyes flickering closed as she buried her nose even deeper into the confines of her gunmetal grey scarf. Antonio didn't blame her, inside of the car was almost as cold as outside of it. They were both bundled up in their winter coats, sporting woollen hats upon their heads. He didn't think he could count the amount of layers that he was wearing underneath his jacket. They'd been following the suspect around for best part of a day now and all they'd gotten was cold.

"I can't believe that this is taking so long." Maggie murmured, banging the back of her head against the head rest of her seat in boredom. "Just take us to the where Jacobs is hiding."

"Hey, guys got errands to run just like everybody else." Antonio responded, leaning back in his own seat in an attempt to get comfortable. "You need to chill."

"I get anymore 'chill' and you're gonna be driving around with an icicle in your car." she informed him, intentionally hissing out the last word so that he could see the condensation in the air. They fell into a comfortable silence once more as Maggie pulled her fur-lined hood up over her head and crossed her arms over her chest.

Antonio began to hum softly under his breath, his gaze slipping to Maggie before he began to hum the tune even louder. Her eyes snapped open as he tilted her head towards him.

"Are you serious?" she snapped at him, her cobalt blue eyes narrowing in disdain at his choice of song.

"It's in my head now, if you'd just let me play the C.D we wouldn't be having any of this." Antonio chuckled before resuming his humming.

"If you had put that Rod Stewart C.D in I would have thrown it out of the window." she told him before sighing loudly. "I hate you."

Antonio broke into a wide smile, his attention coming to rest on the doorway to the building that they were watching.

"Admit it you love me." he teased her, his fingertips tapping along to the tune in his head once more as he awaited her reply.

"Not even in your wildest dreams Antonio."

Those words rang in Maggie's ears as she leaned against the black work surface in Antonio's new kitchen, stirring in another spoonful of sugar. Jesus those days felt like they were a life time ago. The two of them had just been partners, messing around and killing time during a stakeout and now she'd spent the night wrapped up in his sheets, dressed in his clothes, albeit she had been sleeping alone. However there had been something so soothing about being surrounded by his essence, his pillow had smelt like him and she'd woken up this morning with her face pressed into it inhaling his rich, masculine scent feeling safer than she had in a long time. He was intoxicating, she could admit that. She had spent years craving his touch, sometimes when she was undercover she would think about him lying in bed beside her, his hands gliding all over her body with that wicked glint in his dark eyes. She'd pushed those images aside when they had been partners, she hadn't wanted him to see those tell-tale signs of arousal, she hadn't wanted him to know what it did to her every time he laid his hands upon her. He'd figured it out eventually and it was at that point she realized that the attraction was mutual. The way he responded to her sometimes had made her nerve endings sizzle with anticipation and when that happened she would force herself to stare down on that gold band adorning his left hand. She could look but she could never touch.