42. Farid

A week into Christmas break, I trudged downstairs to where Uncle Byron sat, refereeing games of Wizard Chess between Aunt Gwendolyn and Arthur. I'd started referring to them as Aunt and Uncle in an attempt to direct my attention away from the bewilderment that came with knowing I am an orphan.

I'd sent an owl to Avila and Karou a few days after Uncle Byron gave me my parents' memories, that is to say - as soon as I felt confident writing without shaking hands. I'd explained someone in my close family had died (it would have been too confusing to explain exactly who, and I wasn't sure I was ready to put the painful truth into words just yet... even to my closest friends), and that I didn't want them to be too worried if I acted any differently when we returned to school.

The family looked up as I entered the room, concentrated expressions immediately switching to those of pity. It was somewhat irritating, but I didn't want to distance myself further from the few people around me by lashing out.

"What was the name?" I rasped. My throat was still a bit rough from crying, and I had barely spoken since that day.

"The name of what, Farid?" Uncle Byron asked gently.

"The ship," I said, "My parents' ship."

"Why-" Arthur started to ask, but Aunt Gwendolyn shushed him.

"It was The Ouroboros." She explained.

I nodded my thanks and began to back away.

"Would you like to play?" Uncle Byron offered, "I'm sure we could find another chess set somewhere..."

"No, thank you," I replied, "I have some studying I'd like to work on." Uncle Byron nodded.

"Well, get a cookie from the plate in the kitchen," Aunt Gwendolyn urged, "You need to keep up your strength."

I nodded again, backing out of the living room and poking my head into the kitchen. A plate of oatmeal and peanut butter chip cookies sat on the counter. I tore a paper towel off the roll by the sink and wrapped a few inside, holding the small bundle to my thin chest as I padded back up the stairs to my bedroom.

Once safely inside, I shut the door and pressed the power button on my desktop computer. I nibbled at one of the cookies as the windows logo greeted me with its usual trill. My intent was to spend as much of the rest of my time at home finding out everything I could about The Ouroboros. Where it sank, why, and everyone who was on it at the time. If there was even the slimmest chance of their having survived, I would find it or starve myself trying.