Two

DON'T WANNA BE A VICTIM
OF AUTHORITY
I'LL ALWAYS BE THE PRODUCT
OF MINORITY

(5SOS - Social Casualty)

• • •

IDRIS

     Another day, I have to put on the same face. The same face every artists greatly feared to see sitting in front of their publicists' desk and fandoms loathe. The face of Margaux Ellis.

     Margaux is nothing but a character I play in real life. Think of her as that head-turning That Poppy that had everyone puzzled by her pale pastel-themed odd videos that consists of redundant speech and sometimes, other props like a mannequin that likes to' harrass' her, and the videos more or less lasts for less than a minute. In addition to that, she's also a part of a huge label and had already released her own songs, some of which sounds like your typical catchy pop songs that plays in your head at times when it's completely unnecessary, some are just as odd as her video contents. No one knows who she really is. All the people know about her is that she's trying to get a specific message out there regarding the mainstream from decoding everything that's been released with her in it.

     The same goes with Margaux Ellis. Only, I don't have a YouTube account with eerie uploads, neither can I sing. Margaux, however, have a backstory that everyone knows about, unlike Poppy. She's the your typical brat with a rich, irresponsible father who tolerates her wrongdoings. You only see it in movies, for sure. And you would think that it is too good to be true. But based on the observations of people that works in public relations, the problematic behavior is found to be an effective eye-catcher. And now, I'm victimized into martyrdom to sacrifice my reputation in order to become every publicists' dream PR stunt girlfriend.

     I'm sitting next to Taron in the car, and I notice how he is desperate to make a small conversation with me, but I have to be in character. He is fiddling with his fingers and occasionally looks at me sideways. He even clears his throat sometimes or scratch his head.

     I let myself appear like a snob. I turn my head to him and he appears so uneasy. He can't keep his hands in one place but maybe it's just his uncontrollable habit to fidget. Margaux would normally call people out for moving so much, but this time, I have decided to save him some trouble and raging anxiety, so I don't.

     I'm on my phone and I respond to everyone's request-I block them when they send hate. Some goes straightforward and just dare me to block them, and I do. It's a dream for them. It's a sign that tells them that I've noticed their hate and it's all they want.

     I click the off button on the side of my phone and I turn to him. "Are you okay?" I say slightly louder than I intended. Both him and the chauffeur jumps because of my voice rising.

     Taron eyes me with a frightened look on his face and I have never seen a man be this terrified of Margaux. So, I squeeze his arm to comfort him for a bit. "Oh, man. I think it's totally impolite to scare my boyfriend off like that." I chuckle, biting my lower lip, and I lean close to him. "I apologize." And I wink at him.

     I don't look sincere at all, but that's the whole point of Margaux Ellis. She's not sincere; she doesn't have a heart. She's a bitch.

     He nods a little, but his broad shoulders aren't down in a relaxing position. He's still startled.

     I'm starting to feel bad that I signed a contract technically agreeing to be a toxic person in his life, because if he's already this obviously freaked out upon Margaux speaking, what more if I begin to wreak havoc? I might have done this too many times, but I, Idris, still have conscience. I still have a heart and I don't think I will ever get used to causing heart attacks to celebrities.

     "We are here," the chauffeur says unenthusiastically. Taron slides the door open and since I am sat by the window, he hops out first. He reaches his hand out to give a bit of support as I go down and I hold on to it tightly. I could have sworn I heard him discreetly yelp so I wouldn't hear, and even make a face.

     I step down the black Urvan and he leans behind me to slide the door shut.

     The van drives off as I glance at the café in front of us. I feel Taron's knuckles brush down my forearm as our hands gently interlock. I hear him heave a sigh in relief as I gently clutch on him. Perhaps, he was thinking I'd throw a fit because he was just trying to act according to plan. He is an amazing actor anyway. Plus, we signed a contract which explicitly states that we must act like a couple in public at all times, that counts something as simple and typical as holding hands whilst walking.

     We enter the crowded café and I quickly scan the place for an available spot, and I find one just beside the transparent glass overlooking the busy streets of London, with the words "Tous Les Jours" sprawled neatly across the middle in typical serif and rose gold. It appears backwards, though, since we are inside.

     "There! Right there!" I exclaim excitedly, pointing at the area whilst tugging on Taron's coat, gently dragging him towards the cozy-looking grey linen seats and he follows.

     Earlier, I thought I'd just go easy on him. He looks like a tough guy, but every tough lad has a soft side, and this may be it for him. This is also his first publicity stunt, so I may have to adjust for just a little.

After we've said our orders to the obviously flirty waitress, I face him. His green eyes shoots back at me and he's smirking. His hands rests on the table and I playfully brush the tip of my fingers and he joins our hands together.

     "So...since we'll be stuck with each other for about five months or so, how about you tell me a little bit about yourself, and I'll tell you a bit about me in return."

     He grins, looking relieved I started up a conversation that he's been eager to make. "Okay then."

     Of course, when I say me, I really meant Margaux. I'll have to prolong a wide range of lies once again. It's a struggle, especially on the part that I have to prevent slipping and saying something that's a bit off-character. Some celebrities had me pinned for a bit because I accidentally said something that opposes what I've said before. At least way back I've managed and get off the hook, but what if Taron's too smart to buy the bullshit, which I know he probably is?

     He is different from everybody I've 'seen'. You'll never find someone that down-to-earth in a heartbeat and because of it, I feel like backing out. It's only the first date, but I know too damn well I can potentially ruin this sweet guy, and it's difficult to even think about.

     If Margaux Ellis does not give a fuck, I do.