Twenty-six

IDRIS

     My eyes flutter open, and the first thing I see is Taron, asleep. I smirk, poking his nose, knowing that I can do it without him poking back. He's got his arm around me, so I pull myself closer so I can hug him. For the first time, I get to feel the embrace of someone who cares. Most of the time, the people that I fall for usually run away from me because of how I used to project myself, but it brings tears to my eyes just thinking how Taron was willing to look past all the bitch in me.

      No, I'm not kidding. It really does. Tears start to stream down my eyes as I look at him sleeping peacefully. I'm just now realising how thankful I am for him. He came through at the right time.

     Emotions are overflowing. I hug him tight and rest my head on his chest. God, it would be so stupid to mistreat a guy like this. I promise I'll do my best not to hurt him.

     He moves, running his fingers on my hair. It makes me cry harder for reasons I can't fathom. Everything about this moment is too pure. All there is, is silence, and, perhaps, occasional sobs. It's like I'm being rained down with my feelings; crying is uncontrollable.

     "You all right?"

     I nod, but I'm sobbing. Surely, he'll get the wrong idea. Maybe this sudden outpour is just me being overwhelmed by the mixed emotions caused by various things that went down in just this day alone.

     Here's what happened so far: I got fired early this morning, received a bunch of backlash from people telling me that they were right about me being two-faced,which I don't get because this is a totally different story; I went shopping today and bought a bunch of new stuff but completely disregarded my phone vibrating and had Taron worrying; he's here, he brought me flowers, and for the second time ever we have literally slept together. I'm in his arms, all cuddled up. He's like my safe place.

     I look up to face him once again, and he's awake. He smiles as I stare at him and he pokes my nose.

     "Why?"

     "Don't 'why' me. I felt it."

     I groan jokingly and I use the back of my hands to wipe the tears off my cheek. "So you were fake-sleeping this whole time?"

     "I was going to sleep again until I heard you crying. What's wrong?"

     Well, I wasn't aware how much of a drama queen I am. But when you are overwhelmed, it's inevitable.

     But I still find myself reasoning out and lying because I'd hate to be made fun of. Although I know Taron's not that kind of person, I'm still a bit paranoid. "No, I was just thinking of what happened today. It was too much."

     I reach behind me for my phone and check the time. It's one in the morning. So 'today' isn't really today, but yesterday.

     "Taron, how long have we been asleep?"

     He shrugs.

     "It's 1:23am. Your friends must be worrying about you."

     "So, you want me to leave?" He laughs. I shake my head in response.

     "Of course not. But-"

      He places his finger on my lips. "My friends know I'm here. You don't have to worry about me."

     I didn't notice the messages and missed calls underneath the digital clock. And it's all from my dad.

     "Taron...holy shit!" I exclaim, springing up from my bed and my head hurts. I forgot how drowsy I actually am. He sits up too, placing his arm around me, eyeing on my phone.