Twelve

IDRIS

     Taron didn't show up on the meeting today because he was sick. Although it shouldn't really be my business, I must admit that I am feeling a bit worried about him.

"T! I heard you have a fever. Hope you feel better soon." And send.

     I hear my door bell buzz, making me jump and almost making me drop my phone on the coffee table. I set my phone down on the couch and walk towards the door. I peek in my peephole and it's...Taron? I thought he was sick.

     I open the door and he walks in without greeting me. "Wow...uh...hello?"

     He pushes the door shut and locks it. I'm just watching him, confused. I don't have the time to think carefully about what's going on at the moment. All I know is, Taron is in my house and he's literally making himself feel at home. And he looks angry too.

     I lean on the tall wooden bookshelf just beside the door. "Hey!," I yell and finally it got his attention. He's glaring at me. "What the fuck is up?"

     "You tell me what the fuck is up, Idris Blythe."

     Oh no.

     But how the hell did he find out? Did someone I knew contacted him and told him about me? The real me? He couldn't have overheard my conversation with my manager because I thought he called in sick. Wait, is he?

     "Who the hell is Idris Blythe? That's a guy's name, by the way." I fake laugh but he's looking at me like he's furious as hell, so I stop.

     "Margaux. The truth. Now." His jaw clenches. Even though it admittedly looks hot, he's still frightening me.

     I sigh. Should I tell him or not? This is Taron, and even if I've only known him for about three months and a half, he seems like a guy who can keep his mouth shut. So I made up my mind and ask "do you promise not to tell anyone?" I would have defended myself, but I know he notices how fed up I am and he's been upfront about his worries. I guess I'm safe and I hope he doesn't prove otherwise.

     "Only if you're honest, Idris." He stands in front of me with his arms crossed.

     I take a deep breath, and breathe it out. It feels like a relief-somebody's actually here to listen and I'd finally get to express myself without playing a part. "How did you find out about me?" I ask, not saying anything more in the hopes that he would take a hint that he's correct about his suspicion. But I have my eyes squeezed shut.

     "I faked sickness, okay? I'm sorry for eavesdropping, but I heard you arguing with your manager this morning and I overheard her tell you that Margaux is nothing but a character and everything about you are all untrue-even your attitude. I had to process that in my head, Margaux. I've been worried about you lately although it's hardly my business."

    I shake my head, but smiling at him. "I'd appreciate it if you call me by my real name this time."

     "Okay, Idris." He clears his throat. "They didn't allow you to leave the contract, but they did give you a break, didn't they? The full week you asked for?"

     I dip my head and walk towards the kitchen counter. "Do you want anything?," I ask, changing the topic.

     "They didn't?"

     "Oh, yeah they did. Do you want anything?," I ask again, trying to slip myself away from what's being talked about currently. I don't want to be recalled of what happened today.

     "Okay then. What are you going to do with the break"

      I shrug. I honestly have no clue but I just want to rest. "Maybe just lying down the bed and sleeping the week off would do. Maybe I'd want to be seen in public alone so that people will fuzz about how we're already through just to see us together again the following week."

     Taron looks at me and he appears like he's holding in a laugh. "I don't think that's how it works. I mean, wouldn't they interpret it as you having a life outside me?"

     I shake my head. "As someone with a bad reputation about clinginess and having no life, I don't think so. Everyone suddenly gives different meaning to anything when it comes to Margaux. Trust me on this."

     Being able to talk about me like this is basically a sigh of relief. I've been bottled up, desperately wanting to converse with people as myself. I could use a break from being bitchy all the time and being Margaux, I have to stay in character twenty-four-seven. I missed this. I missed being reserved and quiet. I am somehow thankful Taron found out, because at least he get to be my comfort zone. I just hope he wouldn't let me down.

     I set two wine glasses and a bottle of red wine on a handmade wooden tray, then blue cheese on a small plate. Taron won't give me an answer, so I had to take a guess. Plus, I could really use a drink from all this confession.

     "Whoa, okay, you didn't really have to," Taron says as I approach him and place the tray on the coffee table.

     "Well, I want to." I pop the bottle open and pour halfway on both glasses and I pick one up to hand it to him.

     "Listen, I have a plan." He holds out his index finger as he takes a sip, like a signal for me to let him finish. "You might like it."

     I have my wine glass cupped between my hands, cross my legs and face him. "Depends."

     "That is not how you hold it," he's looking down on the way I hold my glass and I roll my eyes.

     "It is in this house. Anyway, tell me what you have in mind."

     "Evil, but I kind of want to mock the management."

     "How are you going to do that without getting fired?" I take in the entire glass and Taron looks at me in shock.

     He raises his eyebrows and blinks, shaking off what he just saw. "It's nearly an eight-year contract, love."

     "Yeah, but I'm sure there's a loophole within that contract that states that if you ever stray off from what they wanted you to be, they can tear the paper off on the spot."

     He smirks. "To hell with them. I just don't like Mia."

     Chuckling, I tell him, "you're insane. You wouldn't risk your career like that-"

     "Just listen to me, Idris Blythe." He clutches on both my arms and I just stare at him blankly. "Do you trust me?"

     "I don't know, T. I'm scared."

     Still holding on my arms, he squeezes me gently. "I've got you, all right?"

     I suck in my lower lip, slowly nodding.