Eighteen

IDRIS

     I wake up to my kitten's ass in front of my face. I squeal and roughly push Margie away, but when I realise that it's her, I tuck her in my arms apologising like a cat could actually understand me. But it's worth a shot. At least she could feel I am.

     I grab my phone on the nightstand to check what time it is, and my clock reads 9:51am. Underneath the clock is Taron's name, and eight consecutive messages and ten missed calls from him. My heart is skipping beats, but not in a good way. I'm hit by anxiousness and it's only been about seconds since I woke. I'm already overthinking what could have happened.

     Frantic, I tap on his name to return the call and putting it on speaker. I'm breathing heavily just hearing the rings. I have no clue what to tell him if he picks up, but maybe it will come up once it actually happens.

     But what could possibly be the reason Taron flooded me with missed calls and text messages at midnight thinking I'm still awake? He knows I sleep away a rough day and yesterday's date was beyond horrible, he knows it.

     An inner turmoil is happening inside my head right now because of the uncontrollable disturbing thoughts and speculations. Perhaps, this is what I get for being too into wicked stuff. He is not picking up.

     I just realised that I'm already in a state of panic, when I haven't even get to read his text messages yet. The three missed calls just had me bothered, I guess.

     So I try to calm myself down, unlock my phone and head to the messages where there is a blue dot next to Taron's message to indicate it is unread. I tap on it.

"Hey. We need to talk. Please pick up."

"Fuck. Haha. Sorry. You're probably sleeping already."

"Anyway, just give me a call tomorrow morning as soon as you see these texts." And I did, but he never picked up. Probably because he overslept from the all-nighter he pulled last night.

"Can I come by tomorrow?"

"We seriously need to talk. Also, I really miss Margie :D" Of course he does.

"And you. Fuck I miss you. What the fuuuuuckk"

"Haha did I just send that!! I didnt oh thank god it didn't"

"Idris why do I care so fucking much"

     Why does he care? Right, we only have a month remaining and we can't make the end of contract awkward. Plus, he's correct. We really do need to talk about everything that's happened the other day.

      These weird-ass texts just screams one thing: He got drunk last night. And that thought immediately drives me insane because of the wave of questions that hits me.

     Did he head straight to a bar after dropping me off my house?

     Who drove him home and did he get home safe?

     Did he hook up with a random girl?-I don't think so. It isn't like him.

     Those are only few of the million questions running on my head. I also begin to grow more worried with him. I would call his friends but I have never met them. It would be weird if Taron's friends whom hated me and knew Margaux and her shitty reputation would give information about him. Of course they would shit on me.