Twenty-Nine

TARON

     The halls are placid, and only my footsteps and faint sounds of printers and fax machines are heard. For the first time in quite a while, I am called to the publicist's office. This time, without the presence of Idris.

     Reminiscing the very last time I was ever here with her, I can hear our laughter echo whilst we raced through the halls, perhaps causing a great amount of disturbance in conference meetings that were held that day. But we were reckless. We didn't care.

     And how I miss it. But working with her equates to an outrageous amount of limitations because of the contract. I'd like being free to be expressive to her than being tied up to a bunch of rules and regulations we are required to follow.

    I knock two times and the door swings open almost immediately. As if Mia has been standing behind the door waiting on me.

     I enter the room, and I can tell right away she isn't her usual self. Her square glasses are pushed up her head, and two of the top buttons of her blouse are undone. I haven't seen her in quite a while, so perhaps she's decided to change up a bit, possibly in celebration of Margaux Ellis out of her hair for good.

     "Taron, take a seat."

     I do what she says, taking a seat on the upholstered chair just in front of her desk. I can tell from the book faced down on a certain page atop, and the abundance of files resting on the sides of her desk, she hasn't done much at all. Or maybe she's just taking a break and couldn't continue unless I arrived.

     To my surprise, she lets herself fall down the leather chair, and I immediately shift my gaze to her face. She has both hands clutched on the pointed edges of the desk, and glancing at me. Her look reminds me of a feline. Fierce, yet seductive. But I don't let her odd stare distract me. I shake my head slightly and clear my throat. "What was this about?"

     That question came out as bland and rude than I meant, but she isn't fazed. Just eyeing me with her mouth gaped, in amusement. As if she can't believe me and my sudden, unintended snap.

     "I'm sorry-"

     "No, it's fine, really," she interrupts. Although she sounds sarcastic, I've noted that she always does, and that it really is fine.

     I look towards me, at the empty but same upholstered chair I'm sitting on right at this moment. I picture Idris being there, and I think it's pretty much unhealthy how she is running on my mind at the moment when I should be thinking about the business, and the reason I was called here. I can't help it, though. I haven't seen her in days because she's out of town with her dad and his girlfriend, but she said she wanted to talk right when she arrives. I assumed it's about us. I've been desperate to talk to her about it too, but never got the chance. I make the I'm always getting distracted by Margie as an alibi, but in the back of my head, I was really too shy to talk to her about it. I don't get why either.

     "Anyway, I was just fixing up your stuff for your big day."

     "That's two months from now?"

     She carries a pile of folders just to drop it to create a loud thud and I wince. "I know, but it's done." She smirks, proud of herself for her accomplishment. She, then, proceeds take a seat in front of me, drawing the chair and her closer. And I am startled. My leaning back as she does forward, and my hands firmly clutching on the handles doesn't hide anything. I'm confused and scared.

     She yanks my collar forward, dragging me with it, tilts her head and presses my lips against hers. And still, all I can think about is Idris, and how I can't let this happen.

     I push Mia away, then I stand up, looking at her shocked. And questions start to rain down on my brain. Overtaking the confusion in my head is anger, that I've just been kissed without my consent. I have already hinted out discomfort, but she resent to notice.

     Shaking my head, I step backward, away from her but she's looking at me eagerly, tucking her lower lip in her mouth trying to seduce me but it doesn't work out. At all.

     With all my emotions raging, I yell something that's said too soon. I couldn't control myself. "I love Idris. I love her and I am not doing this with you."

     My tone sounds as if I'm on the verge of tears, and maybe I am. I storm out of her office and into the elevator, the thought in my head being Idris knowing about this before she can even say shit. I have to act quick.

     As I anxiously hop in the lift, I whip out my phone, wanting to give Idris a ring, but the lack of signal inside ruins it, and I only hear dead yet deafening silence.

     I'm frantic as I hop out and rush towards my car. I notice that my phone has begun to gain signal so I call Idris again, but I'm sent to her voicemail which aggravates me. I know, it's a selfish way of thinking.

     "Hey, love. I'm sorry to interrupt the vacation and bonding, but please call me as soon as you've got this. It's an emergency." I speak with a nervous tone. And I'm worried that she may think I am in trouble-I'm not. I'm just eager to talk to her because she is the only one I want to fall back on after Mia has done the unexpected.

"Are you crying?"

     Leo arrives with an ice cold beer in his hand. My feet is sunken down in the shallow waters up to my ankles and he does the same, but first made sure the spot he'll be sitting on isn't clammy. He hands me the beer and I take a swig, trying to forget Mia's contemptuous behavior earlier. Idris still isn't returning my calls and my head is reeling. The beer is probably just going to make it worst so I hand the bottle back to Leo, who is looking concerned at me now.

     "Something happened today and I'm worried Idris may have found out about it the wrong way."

     "What did happen today?"

     I feel the menace take over me as I hastily take the bottle from Leo's hands. I take a sip then hand it back to him. "My publicist tried to kiss me. She did, but I broke off immediately and got out of there as fast as I could before she could do anything else. I'm scared Mia might be one step ahead of me and told Idris the wrong story. I still have to make sure, though."

     My phone starts to vibrate in my pocket. My heart trembles and I feel my stomach churning to the point that it's already painful. "It's Idris," I say, before answering to the call. "Hello?"

     "I can't fucking believe you."

     I sense the sorrow in her voice. Her every sob is like knives to my heart and it's painful. It adds more hurt knowing that I am the reason she's crying, although I never intended to.

     "Let me explain, please."

     "You kissed Mia. I don't think I'd need an explanation for that. I saw it. Someone sent me a video of it." My heart rips into pieces on every cracks of her voice. "I'm done with you."

     She ends the call, leaving me hanging. I am not one to cry easily but the thought of losing Idris hurts. And I can't let that happen.

     I have an odd impulse to toss my phone on the pool, but I don't want to make a decision I'll regret later on. But I've got an idea. And as I leave the pool and Leo, pacing towards the kitchen, I know I can't back down now.