Eleven

TARON

     "You okay, mate?" Jett sits next to me, also dipping his toes in the water. "You've been very silent lately."

     There's a half-empty bottle of beer beside me. I took a swig before looking at him. "Margaux has me concerned."

     "What about?"

     "We were supposed to 'fight' the other day but she broke down. She's been very exhausted lately."

     Jett snorts, thinking that I'm joking so I push him sideways harshly. "Okay, okay! I'll listen. But dude, it's not like Margaux to be exhausted."

     "Dude, I know you think that she's inhumane but she's still human with feelings-"

     "Surprisingly," Jett interrupts, and I scowl at him.

     "Anyway, she wasn't her usual bitchy, problematic self these past few dates I had with her. She just told me she's very tired and all of a sudden, this happened."

     Jett beckons at me to pass the bottle, so I do. He holds it still between his thighs whilst flipping his feet slowly to create small waves on the pool surface. "On one hand, I think she's trying to manipulate you and she's currently getting herself to earn your pity, but maybe that's just me being cynical as always. On the other hand, if a problematic person breaks down, that's code red."

     "Code red for what?"

     "No, sorry. An SOS. She needs help." He laughs at himself. "She does...need help."

     "Seriously, Jett."

     "Okay. You guys seem so tight," he gives emphasis to 'tight' again. "She might just open up to you."

     I let out a sarcastic laugh. "Except when I asked her what's wrong she said 'nothing,' Clearly, we're not as tight as you think we are, Jett."

     He sighs. "You just wait. She might open up real soon. To be honest, Taron, I've never seen her be close to somebody like this before. Some of my friends were her clients and they all gave up on her because she was very shitty." He leans in close. "You still on high alert?"

     "Of course."

     "Good. You should be. She might just be taking advantage of you. You are too nice, T. And she's too fucked for you. Beware, always. Don't share so much to her. She might use that against you one day." He drinks from the bottle and hand it back to me.

     "I'll take note of that. Thanks bruv." I take the bottle and get up slowly. I slip on my rubber sandals and it becomes soaked instantly. "I'm going to bed. What about you?"

     "I think I'll stay here for a bit. It's hot inside; I might just take a dip. You still need that?" He points at my bottle and I give it to him.

     "All by yourself?" I beam at him. "You might see a weird apparition underwater."

     "I don't give a shit anymore, man." He places the bottle down, takes off his shirt and gets in the water. Then he turns to face me, sitting on the steps. "You're dating Margaux Ellis. Nothing's scarier than that." He splashes water on me, sprinkling some on my shirt and rolled up jeans. I laugh as I walk backwards away from Jett who is now looking at me like he's begging me not to leave him alone because I just planted a scary image on his head.

     "I'm tired, mate. I'll have George down to be with you. Just hope he doesn't look and bark at a certain spot around here," I joke, annoying Jett even more, he splashes me again.