Twenty-Two

IDRIS

     As expected, here we are at the dragon's office and the other dragon is also here; my manager. I'm sat beside Taron, who's got his hand gripped on my wrist under the table, as if he is trying to ready himself to drag me out in case these dragons start to spit fire.

     None of us can tell whether they are mad or not. They are sharing the same goddamn unreadable expression.

     We have been sitting like this for five minutes.

     "I have no words," Mia starts. "I don't know what to say."

     I turn to Taron, anxious. I have no idea whether that's a good or a bad thing.

     "Any particular reason you were suddenly nice, Margaux?" My manager asks and my heart begins racing from there. She's scowling at me.

     Think, Idris, think. What could possibly be the reason Margaux wasn't a bitch?

     "I knew it would get the gossip blogs buzzing. It is unlikely of Margaux to act nice all of a sudden. It was my plan."

     Taron squeezes my wrist, then he clears his throat. "Actually, I contributed to that plan. At first it was really difficult for her to play nice, but I thought it would turn heads if she does, and it worked."

     Although I don't think there is any particular reason he should back me up, he might be sensing something else since he knows his publicist well. Probably had been working with him for longer than I think. Or maybe he notices something with my manager, which I don't recognise because she's almost always looking pissed. She's actually taking the resting bitch face into a whole new level.

     "That is very interesting," my manager speaks up, then she beckons me to come with her, then she walks out.

     I shake my hand away from Taron's grip and I squeeze his hand like it is my SOS signal before I follow my displeased-looking manager.

     I see her on the halls, waiting for me with the same expression as a minute ago.

     "What?"

     "Taron knows, doesn't he?"

     I shake my head. "No. We're just friends. God, do you always have to be suspicious whenever I make friends? Can't I have a social life whilst being like this? I have a life outside Margaux Ellis too, you know."

     She smirks, but it doesn't mean well. I know that familiar simper and it means I am in deep shit.

     She purses her lips and shakes her head. "I only asked you one question and you are defensive. What's your deal?"

     "Because I'm so fucking tired about my limitations with this stupid character! I can't date. I can't make friends unless they are as superficial as Margaux. I can't be nice. Have you ever noticed my breaking point? No. Because you don't care about me. You never did."

     Hot tears begin flowing down as I rant. And it's funny how I haven't slipped and told her that Taron and his friends know. It's weird how I can still keep my mouth shut over everything that had happened.

     Part of me wants to give in and tell her that I did tell Taron about it but only because he found out himself through her and our argument the last time we argued and stepped in this very hall. Taron wouldn't know if she didn't scream it out. It's partially her fault too.

     If I do tell, I'm going to lose my job, and that'll prove my parents right. This is already proving that they are, but if they find out, I'm going to need support. I'd rather not get shit on and have them add more salt to the injury.