Twenty-Eight

IDRIS

     Taron really made sure he's in the restaurant 11:30 am sharp and my father looked impressed when he glanced at his watch then the door, and Taron comes in looking absolutely dapper. Basing on his stories, I assume he asked Jett for help to look like that, because even he thinks he isn't good at picking his clothing. Honestly, I could use a friend like that. Taron is lucky to have Jett although he can be harsh at judgy at times-according to Taron.

     First impressions can be tough, but my father leans in to whisper to me. "Are you guys really together? I'd be disappointed if he is another one of your little stunt buddies because he is well-groomed. I like it."

     I shake my head and I shift my gaze to Taron walking towards our booth. "He was. We became good friends then this happened. However, we don't have any labels. We don't know what we are at this moment because it is still yet to be talked about."

     "I hope he isn't a let down." He sits properly and clear his throat.

     "Good day, sir." Taron smiles as he takes a seat. My father looks at him threateningly but he doesn't look worried and it concerns me. Does he care whether dad approves of him or he isn't?

     Is he serious about us? Is he going to blow this up?

     My rational thought fights back. He does care. He's already showed too much proof that he does. In fact, I have no actual basis that he's going to fuck this up. I do, however, have proof he isn't. Why don't I just stick to that?

     I hold Taron's hand that is resting on the table, and Gilda does the same to dad.

     So this is basically a double date, just like dad thought. I don't mind, though, but I would very much appreciate to kick Gilda out of the picture. She doesn't give me good vibes at all. She is currently eyeing Taron up and down with her judging eyes. And no she isn't being a mom with this. It's fucking uncomfortable and I would hate to be her step-daughter.

     Oh my god. Is this how it feels like to be my dad? I ruthlessly judge his significant others just like he does with mine and see if they're good for him. And so far, just like him, none impressed me. They all look like they are just going to leech off dad's fortune. But, I barely see them nor get the chance to get to really know them, so who am I to judge?

     I just want the best for dad, much like he wants the best for me. I don't want what happened to my mom and him to happen again. My dad can't stand another of that type of heartache. He deserves to be happy.

     So, my dad starts off the conversation nice and easy after we order our food. Taron looks comfortable but from time to time, he squeezes my hand. Like it's an SOS I did way back with Mia. I assume it is.

     My dad excuses himself to go to the bathroom, so of course, Gilda follows him. "I'll give you two a moment," she says and she winks at me and I fake a smile. Maybe it's just me and my judgmental, hateful self, but that was a creepy move.

     Taron sighs in relief and looks at me. "I don't know how, but I think I was holding my breath starting from when I got here."

      "You look chill?"

     "Benefits of being an actor. I make it seem as if I'm not intimidated when I actually am," he says and I laugh.

    I hold his hand with both of mine. "It's cool. I think he likes you."

    "I hope so. Or else, I'm dead."

     I shake my head and poke his nose. "You're not. I promise, I'll defend you. But by the looks of it, I don't think you'll need defending. He already likes you when he saw you. He said you looked very decent-"