Gone

AN: Thanks to JDUBZ for his skills as a Beta Reader! I can use that now, it's a title according to Wikipedia.

"An alpha reader or beta reader, also pre-reader or critiquer, is a non-professional reader who reads a written work, generally fiction, with the intent of looking over the material to find and improve elements such as grammar and spelling, as well as suggestions to improve the story, its characters, or its setting." (Wikipedia)

Sentence example: JDUBZ is mah Beta Reader!

Chapter 8: Gone

Rem heard the knocking a second time and decided it must be a neighbor. It was strange that someone would come at this hour. Rem approached the door, and looked through the peephole. Nothing. Rem opened the door and stepped outside, looked around and saw nothing. Rem stepped back inside, looking over her shoulder once more before closing the door behind her.

Walking to the kitchen, Rem began to think of Subaru. Was Subaru really who he said he was? A lost boy away from home?

Rem grabbed a cup from one of the cabinets.

While Rem needed to think of how to handle Subaru there were other things to attend to. Rem wanted to visit the Roswaal Mansion or what was left of it. Rem didn't know if she could handle it. But Rem knew that in order for her to say her final goodbyes to Nee-sama, she had to see it for herself.

Rem filled up the cup with water. She was so lost in her own thoughts she didn't notice when the water rose over the rim and spilled onto her hand. Rem quickly sealed the faucet.

Rem put the cup down onto the table and turned to wipe her hand on a towel. Suddenly, Rem felt something hard and rounded under her foot. Shifting her foot, Rem saw the golden necklace Subaru had given to her just an hour ago.

Picking it up, Rem reread the words: To my fanatical little demon. Every day I live is a day I want to be with you. Love, Subaru-kun.

Rem clutched the necklace to her heart and started to choke up. She wanted the words on the necklace to be true. Rem wanted Subaru-kun to love her as much as she loved him. Why couldn't he just come up to her and tell her that he loved her with everything he had?

Rem put her back to the wall at a corner of the kitchen. Sliding down slowly to the floor Rem began to see Subaru in her head; giving her bits of his food, taking pictures of her, giving her flowers and gifts, kissing her, and complying with her wishes.

Rem could only count on one hand how many times Subaru was mean to her. But would need dozens of hands to count just how many times Subaru showed his appreciation for her, his love for her.

Perhaps, Subaru-kun was the one for her. She could forgive him, but she would never forget what he kept from her. It hurt her inside knowing the last time she saw Nee-sama was when she left to take care of Subaru-kun. She didn't even get to say a proper goodbye, she was so worried about Subaru.

Subaru-kun, she wanted to talk to him now. Rem wanted to know what he saw in her, what he planned for the future. She wasted to ask him if he really loved her. One of Rem's first thoughts when they moved in here here was to start a family with him someday in the future. It would be them against the world. They would live happily together and forever.

They. Subaru and Rem, they did everything together; moving to Kararagi, finding a house, shopping, sleeping, breathing, everything. The only times they weren't together was when they were at their jobs, but when they were together Subaru would give her unrelenting love.

Subaru made so many sacrifices for Rem, so many Rem wasn't sure if she could ever repay him. Once again, Rem began to have doubts of Subaru being part of the cult. What cult member would risk his life for children he just met? What cult member would run straight into a pack of Demon Beasts to save her? What person would cherish her forever no matter how crazy she got? Subaru would.