Sanctuary

Rem had stayed dormant for several days. Neither Oki nor Ken were able to convince her to come out of the house she resided in. The only person she would talk to was Beatrice, only because she could answer Rem's questions.

The death of Ram had hit Rem hard. Before, a small part of her wished it wasn't true, wished that what the cultist had said to her was a lie. After talking to Beatrice, and seeing her sister's grave for herself, Rem could no longer deny the fact that her dearest sister was gone forever.

Tears were falling down Rem's face, "Did she suffer?"

Beatrice paused before answering Rem's question, "No, I suppose."

Beatrice had told Rem that after the attack, Roswaal had gone back to the mansion after safely escorting Emilia to the Sanctuary. What he had found was a burning mansion, and a lifeless Ram lying in the wet grass.

Roswaal had retrieved Ram's body and brought it to the Sanctuary where she was given a proper burial in the graveyard.

"I could not read his expression, but there was no doubt that he would have preferred her to be alive, I suppose." Beatrice however, showed no emotion when describing the death of Ram. Beatrice never really had a strong relationship with either of the twins so Ram's death had not affected her.

After hearing this, Rem realized that Roswaal had not appeared once since she had gotten there. This was strange, seeing as she had already been there for two days.

"Where is Master Roswaal?"

Beatrice closed her eyes with an annoyed look, "The foolish man died from his own actions, I suppose. Choosing to take on the Witch's Trials by himself."

Rem was in her assigned bed at the time, shocked to hear that the greatest, most powerful wizard she knew was dead. Everyone Rem knew was dying and she felt there was nothing she could have done to stop it. She felt like her whole world was collapsing in on itself.

Putting her hands together, Rem brought them to her chest, whispering, "Master Roswaal.....is dead?" Beatrice said nothing, a look of annoyance still on her face. "But how...how did Master Roswaal die?"

Beatrice, who had been standing next to the bed Rem was in, moved to sit down at a nearby table to look over a book she had saved from the mansion, "His reasoning is unknown to me, but he said it was something he had to do, someone he had to meet, I suppose." Beatrice stayed silent, reading her book.

Rem grabbed fistfuls of her blanket, "Lady Beatrice that does not answer Rem's question! Who killed Master?! We must escape, if they are that powerful and evil then we are in danger!"

Still not looking up, her blue eyes trailing the words in the ancient book, Beatrice explained to Rem, "Roswaal was killed by his own foolishness. He knew what he was doing, I suppose. Yet his sharp wit didn't stop him from acting inappropriately, I suppose." Beatrice closed the book, brushing off any dust on its cover. Walking to a bookshelf, Beatrice continued, "There is a tomb here, I suppose. It is said to be the final resting place of the Witch of Greed. Her soul embodies the tomb, protecting this wretched place for reasons unclear even to me, I suppose. Her spell casts a border around this place, preventing anyone from leaving unless someone were to complete the Trials, I suppose."

Getting up, Beatrice placed the book onto a bookshelf that was next to the bedroom door. Skimming through the other books Beatrice continued, "The Trials are reserved only for those deemed worthy by the Witch of Greed, I suppose. They each embody a human's past, present, and future. If one were to complete them they would, as I stated before, release the inhabitants from this filthy place, I suppose." Beatrice made a sour face, she obviously did not enjoy being at the Sanctuary.