Chapter 40

If you feel you're sinking, I will jump right over into cold, cold water for you

Eveleigh's POV

Eveleigh's POV

The feeling when I opened the door to find a soaking Harry as his teeth chattered from the cold rain was enough to make my heart almost stop beating. It felt like my body was clinging to jagged, slippery rocks as massive waves beat against me, trying to break my very soul.

You never get used to seeing the face of the one you are in love with when they are now in love with someone other than you. It's enough to make you want carve out your own heart and toss it aside so you never feel that ache - that wrenching, twisting ache inside your chest as it bangs against your ribcage and your brain tries to process the distress it's sending to every nerve ending in your body - again. You feel it in the tips of your fingers all the way to your toes as your eyes involuntarily well with unneeded tears before they trickle down your flushed cheeks.

I wouldn't wish heartbreak on my worst enemy.

"Harry?" I ask softly as I put my foot out to stop the scampering kittens from running out to him. "You're soaking wet. Did you walk here?"

"Hi, darling. Can I please come in? Want to spend time with you. I've missed you so much," he begs as he pulls his coat closer to his shivering body.

I stare at him for a moment, contemplating if I should let him in when he is dating another woman, my bully, but my heart won't allow my Har-Bear to stay out in the rain and catch a cold so I open the door further and let him in.

Helping him out of his coat, I place it in the hall closet as he takes off his shoes, running a hand through his damp hair. "I'll make some tea," I whisper as I start for the kitchen and he is playfully attacked by Zeus.

Filling the electric kettle with water, I try to calm my shaky hands as I turn it on to boil. Opening my tea assortment case, I dig through it to find Harry's favorite brand and flavor of tea that I still kept around.