Chapter 55

"The spaces between my fingers and the gaps on my ribs, they all yearn to be solely filled by you"

Harry's POV

"No, I told you already. If he doesn't have the fucking money today, he's finished. I've already given him an extra month to pay up and it's his damn fault if a good high is worth more to him than his life," I shake my head as I balance the phone between my ear and shoulder while I sign the weekly paychecks for Eveleigh's employees at the flower shoppe.

Hearing the door creak open slowly, out of the corner of my eye, I see Eveleigh sneaking in and trying to be silent. Letting out small sneezes and muffled coughs, she trudges over and somehow squeezes under my arms and climbs into my lap. With my free hand, I hand her a tissue before cuddling her closer as I listen to the blabbering idiot on the phone and finish signing the last paycheck.

"Well, I don't give a shit that it's your second cousin, Lucas. Now deal with it or I'll deal with the both of you....What? No, I don't want his heart by the end of the day for proof. This isn't fucking Snow White, Lucas. Just bring Niall and Louis with you and get it done." I snap before hanging up the phone and rubbing my temple stressfully.

Taking a deep breath and containing myself, I look down at my little love, who was currently playing with the lapel of my jacket and sniffling to herself as she isn't even bothered by my conversation, and brush the hair out of her face.

"Still feeling yucky, baby?" I ask, earning a nod as I press my cheek against her forehead and see if she still is running a fever. Frowning when I notice she's still warm, I pull her closer to me and rest my head against her temple, pressing soft, delicate kisses against her cheeks.

"I told you playing out in the rain when you already had the sniffles wasn't a good idea but you just had to run out there barefoot, didn't you? Little brat. Maybe next time you'll listen to me, yeah?" I hum against her skin, rocking us back and forth soothingly in the rolling desk chair as I rub her back softly.

"But it was so much fun," she whines, nuzzling her nose against my collar bone before letting out a harsh cough.

"Yes, disobeying me is always so much fun," I playfully roll my eyes as she lets out a tiny giggle and nods, biting her lip and looking up at me with a twinkle in her tired, red eyes.