Chapter four

Chapter four

Seeing the doctor walking towards us, I felt as if I was going to die right there and then. My heart felt as if it had stopped as the doctor reached out his hand to introduce himself. Too scared to move, I just stood there staring blankly at his hand. As much as I’ve waited for him to be here, I didn’t want to be here. Hearing what he was going to tell me was just too much for me to handle. I didn’t want him telling me what I knew he was going to tell me. I just wanted to be home curled up on the sofa with Isaac.

With so much panic dread and so many other emotions running wild, my legs could know longer hold me up leaving me collapsing on to the hard tiled sterile floor. My parents were at my side in mere seconds, even the doctor was trying to calm me down but I was too wrapped up in fear. “Anastasia Isaac is alive please you need to calm down, Anastasia you’re scaring us here please calm down.” my dads pleads had me snapping my head up so I could look straight into his eyes. I needed to see if he was telling me the truth or if he was just saying that just to calm me down. However, seeing the honesty in his eyes, I turned to face the doctor who had a big smile on his face. “Your dad is telling you the truth Anastasia. Isaac is alive.” hearing him telling me Isaac was alive, I broke down again only this time they were tears or relief and joy. “Can I see him?” I signed because I knew that I was in no fit state to speak. “Yes but just a short visit, as he is still not out of danger yet. However, I will say, you have one strong fighter of a future husband there.  In all the cases I’ve seen, I’ve never seen one with injures as severe as his survive. You’re one lucky girl.” There were no words in this world to explain how his words had made me feel. My body filled instantly with adrenaline and adoration for my baby for fighting to stay with me. With my tears streaming and the big smile on my face the doctor held onto my arm as he led me towards Isaac’s room.

As I entered the room, all the relief I had only felt moments ago, was gone. It was as if someone had knocked all the wind out of me. Seeing Isaac laid there all wired up and machines beeping from both sides of his bed, I wanted to run as fast as I could. Nevertheless, I knew I couldn’t run from him, he needed me just as I needed him so many times in my stupid life. Taking in a deep calming breath, I slowly made my way, closer to his bed. I was in utter shock by the paleness of skin as his usual olive colouring I had adored so much, was gone. He looked grey. The doctor came and stood beside me. As I took Isaac’s hand in mine, shivers ran down my spine but not the usual pleasurable shivers but ones of fear. His hand was so cold and limp it was as if he was dead. “I’m going to leave you have a few moments alone but when I come back, I will explain his condition to you.” Before the doctor, left he gave my shoulder a quick reassuring squeeze.

Feeling so choked up, I really didn’t know what to say. Then again, I wasn’t too sure if he could even hear me. Taking in another deep breath, I decided just to talk to him as I usually would. “Isaac, oh baby I love you so much! Do you know that you scared the hell out of me!” I laughed a little, as I thought how I would still tell him off even though he’s lying here all wired up. “Isaac you are so strong and brave but I really need you to keep fighting baby. I need you Isaac more than you’ll ever know. Without you, I am nothing but damaged. You are the one who had given me a second chance at life. You were the one who showed me how love really felt, Isaac I’m telling you now, and if you give up on me I will give up on myself too. So please come back to me.,” the last bit I whispered to him because although I knew I shouldn’t of said it, it was the truth.  A hand on my shoulder told me it was time for me to leave and although I didn’t want to leave him, I now felt stronger and needed to know what exactly was wrong with him.

As my parents and I sat in the doctor’s office, I started thinking how his parents should’ve been here. Nevertheless, I had ruined that for him too, as his family disowned him the day they found out that he was helping me instead of his own family. I couldn’t understand how they could do that to their own son, but every time I think like that, I remember how I was treated.

 With one hand wrapped in my dads and the other in my mums, I nodded for the doctor to start. “As you have seen for your self Isaac is alive. However, there is still along way to go. As you’re probably aware, gunshot wounds are one of the most traumatic injuries you can suffer. The bullet hit him in the head, although it broke through his skull, we were very lucky to be able to remove it with minimal damage.” The doctor stopped and stared at me before he went to continue, but I cut in before he started rambling on again. I just wanted to know what we were to expect and how bad his injures were. “Dr Jones I don’t mean to come across rude but please could you just tell me in English what we are to expect from his recovery.” The look of fear that appeared on his face made my blood run cold. “Isaac’s recovery will be slow if he fully recovers at all.” my heart felt as if it was going to explode out of my chest the way it was beating so frantically. “There are three ways his recovery can go. The first being a full recovery, which is what I am hoping for. The second however, isn’t so good. He could end up completely paralyzed and unable to speak which will mean he will need around the clock care. Then there’s the third.” He stopped to let me take the first two in. My heart felt as if it had been smashed to smithereens and I hadn’t even heard the third one yet. However, I was struggling so much to hold myself together that I just needed to hear the third one, as I knew he had left the worst until last. I knew I would do what ever it takes to help him to make a full recovery. The doctor’s deep calming voice snapped me back to reality. “The third one isn’t good Anastasia. Isaac could be stuck in a comma for the rest of his life and if he did wake up, he would not remember any of you, well anything at all. Then there’s also the case that he had stopped breathing for ten minutes, which would’ve starved his brain of oxygen. I hate putting it to you so bluntly Anastasia but I don’t think you will ever have the Isaac you know and love back but you will have Isaac.” His words were the exact words I had been dreading. I had nothing left but I wasn’t going to give up. I was going to keep trying to get my Isaac back no matter how long it will take.

After we had finished with the doctor, I walked back into Isaac’s room.  I had made a promise to myself and to Isaac that I would never give up. Mum and dad joined me about an hour later, which was grateful for, as I really needed them right now more than ever. As I turned in my mums arms, I noticed a shadow of what looked like a man standing outside of the room staring in at us. A cold shiver ran down my spine as the man’s eyes locked on mine. The smirk on his face was enough to tell me he had something to do with this and he wasn’t finished yet. As quick, as I  ran out of the room he was gone, vanished, I had searched everywhere. I could feel my mum and dad close on my heels but I just ignored them. I needed to find this man and follow him,  I had know doubt what so ever that he was one of  many that worked for Zack. With my body filled with adrenaline, I took to the emergency stairs running down them as fast as my shaky legs would take me. As I exited the building, I spotted a blacked out sports car  taking off out of the car park. “Dad follow that car.” within a flash dad was taking off after the car. I could see mum was scared stiff but too much was at risk now , for me to back down as he was our only lead to find Zack. I wanted to kill him myself, with my own bare hands for everything he has done not only to me but also to my loved ones. With my eyes glued to the car just a head of us, everything else seemed to have disappeared. There was only the car and me, and that was all I needed until it led me Zack.

 ****************************

OMG who is this man and what the hell is Anastasia doing ????

Can things get any worse for Anastasia :(